Enscape Service Pack 3.5.6

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
    • Official Post

Dear Forum Community,

We've just released our latest Enscape Service Pack 3.5.6!

UPDATE:

Improved Render Quality via NVIDIA Denoiser for Capture Exports

Image and video capture exports are now using the NVIDIA ReLAX denoiser if the corresponding Renderer Setting is enabled (previously NVIDIA Denoiser setting only affected real-time walkthroughs). Noise on captured images and videos, especially on rough metallic surfaces, is much improved compared to before.

Automatic Disabling of Ray-Traced Sun Shadows

The ray-traced sun shadows is one of our most intensive features regarding GPU memory consumption and can fill it up pretty quickly depending on the project. For this reason, we are automatically disabling it when the GPU memory is about to be filled to 100% to prevent crashes and we will show a dialog to inform you when that happens. To re-enable the feature when it is automatically disabled, you will need to close Enscape first.

To complement that, we have prepared a knowledge base article explaining some steps that you could take to free up GPU memory and see this dialog less often.

Memory considerations for ray-traced shadows - Enscape

BUGFIXES:

Stability & Loading Time Improvements

In some cases loading time of very large & complex projects could take a very long time or entirely fail.

You can refer to our previous announcement post of Service Pack 3.5.5 and prior here.

If you experience any problems with this version please ideally reach out to us via the help center or through the feedback button as detailed here. Any other feedback or thoughts can also be shared here.

• Good morning.

Sorry if this is not the place for this question.

Although the Enscape is enabled to notify when there is a new update, it does not.

When you ask the ESCAPE to check the existence of a new version, it does not run either.

What may be happening?

Thanks

• Automatic Disabling of Ray-Traced Sun Shadows

HOWTO use VR in ULTRA quality with version 3.5.6+202715

I have discussed with one of your team members in a private thread, but wanted to share some public praise here, because you are seriously underselling this version (or maybe a recent previous version, but it still wasn't mentioned anywhere in the release notes). Sorry for all the red, but I need to somehow express how important this is to me and also offer some advise to VR user on how to make HIGH and ULTRA usable. There's a specific setting you have to disable.

VR performance has drastically improved.

To the point where I can now run ULTRA on current gen hardware (4090) with a stable 60-70 FPS, where previously HIGH and ULTRA were unusable and MEDIUM was the way to go in VR. I want to say again:

This is huge. I can now do VR in ULTRA settings. I thought I had to wait until the 5090 before I can run anything other than MEDIUM in VR.

In addition to a a general performance improvement, it is now way more stable frametimes. Even if I don't reach the max 90 FPS of my Varjo Aero headset like I do on MEDIUM, Enscape now runs a smooth 60+ FPS in ULTRA, without any serious dips to the downside, so it is very usable. Previously there used to be a lot of variance in framerates and serious stutter. Interestingly CPU usage jumps in HIGH and ULTRA, so it now makes sense for me to upgrade the CPU to the very latest, in addition to the GPU. CPU frametimes in MEDIUM are way below GPU frametimes, but in HIGH/ULTRA, the CPU frametimes are about the same as the GPU frametimes. There isn't much differrence performance-wise between HIGH and ULTRA now anymore, so I run ULTRA.

There still is this annoying noise issue in 3.5.6+202715 which makes HIGH and ULTRA unusable quality-wise , but over two days of testing I finally figured out it can be fixed if you disable the raytraced sunlight switch.

It is a weird behavior, where you get a lot of noise in an area and when you look at it for 15 seconds it clears up, move your head slightly and you have noise again. You can see this demoed clearly with the pipe next to the yellow Kaeser compressor in the video. Notice how this demo is in a completely enclosed room with artifical lighting, why is there even sunray RTX happening?

Like I said, this can be fixed by turning off raytraced sunlight in settings. This works fine when starting up Enscape in ULTRA with Raytraced Sunlight disabled. However when switching back down to quality MEDIUM and then back to ULTRA, this problem appears again. You can see this demoed in the video. This is weird, because raytraced sunlight is a checkbox in settings, requiring an Enscape engine restart to be applied. Here however, it seem to be turned on just by switching quality?

Maybe it doesn't have to do with the raytracing at all and it just a bug with some other cause that gets un-triggered by starting up without raytraced sunlight and then re-triggered by switching quality to MEDIUM and back to ULTRA?

I any case. The current way to use VR on ULTRA is to have a 4090, and start the Enscape engine without raytraced sunlight.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

Thank you very much for all the feedback burggraben , we really do appreciate it.

Regarding the noise issue occurring when switching between rendering qualities while ray-traced sun shadows are enabled, I'm glad to tell you that we have already identified the cause behind this behavior and so we'll be providing a fix for this with a future service pack / preview soon.

I hope that this won't be hindering your workflow too much in the meantime. I'll definitely notify you once again after said update is available and thank you once more for the comprehensive report as well.

• Regarding the noise issue occurring when switching between rendering qualities while ray-traced sun shadows are enabled,

It can only happen when ray-traced sunlight is disabled, because with ray traced sunlight enabled the noise is there from the very start.

The perfect workarund for now is to simply, start in ULTRA and do not switch quality. Simple enough.

There still are some minor noise issue even with ray-traced sunlight disabled, but nothing compared to what you see in the video.

Are you able to share if the noise is related to ray-tracing technically at all or if it is a completely separate issue that just gets accidentally triggered by switching quality during runtime and switching on ray-traced sunlight before the engine runs?

• Just to illustrate: At timestamp 0:22 you can still some noise near the top edge of the wall, with raytraced-sunlight disabled. It's minor compared to the issue in the video above, but probably the single greatest quality defect in ULTRA. Never seen this on desktop, why only in VR?

The biggest issue (after noise) on ULTRA VR is lighting. For some reason areas not directly touched by sunlight are super dark in VR. They're somewhat dark-ish on desktop, but in VR they're just way too dark. Areas which are completely enclosed like the workshop demo above are okay, because the exposure auto-adjust.

But for areas where you have mixed exterior and interior, the interior is way too dark, even if the interior has additional artificial lighting. Moving into these dark areas, adjusts the lighting, but it's an issue if you want to see the whole thing.

Artificial lights don't help much, even if they are given ridiculous amounts of lumen in Revit. Turning up artifical light brightness to 200% (max) and sunlight down to 20% in Enscape setting, help a little, but there an issue where non-sun lighting is way darker in VR than on desktop. Even without artificial lights, these room should be lit up by sunlight. Raytracing is off (noise issue), but it doesn't brighten things up when it is on either.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Does your interior lighting primarily rely on global illumination bounces from the exterior or emissive lamps within?

Increasing the light intensity may not be the solution, as it doesn't affect the quantity of photons, only their brightness. This could potentially exacerbate noise artifacts. My understanding was that this primarily impacts placed direct lights.

It seems like your interior lights function as emissive surfaces. Consider adding non-physical lights inside to complement this.

To create a more cohesive look between the interior and exterior, reduce the dynamic range. One way is to boost interior lighting while minimizing sunlight, perhaps to 1 or 2%. You can also adjust the highlights/shadows parameter or use auto contrast to narrow the dynamic range further through the tone mapper.

Does the exposure override function in VR? The scenes appear underexposed; for instance, in this area, I would anticipate either a darker interior (unlit) or an overexposed exterior. This implies a potential underexposure issue.

Similar to adapting to a low dynamic display, mindful lighting is crucial to prevent situations like the one depicted in this example of avoiding a dim portrait against a bright background

[Blocked Image: https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/568ebf61a976afb1dc261dce/1498414505911-4CB8W3A7Y1YY0EVCJJAQ/subject+against+a+bright+background.jpg]

• Thanks for the pointers. I'll do some reading and try to improve on my indoor lights. I have none on the upper floor in that model yet, but on the ground floor there are a bunch. In the screenshot below you see 6 ceiling lights. Each of these is a light source found in the standard Revit catalog with a color of 4230K and 60W at 80lm/W, so that's is 4800 lumens x 6 light in that kitchen = 28.800 lumens. That room should be bright as the sun. I understand it doesn't translate exactly from the setting in Revit for "real world" lumens, but it would be nice if it would be close. I'll look into your tips for non-physical lights, thanks!

Here's the problem I won't be able to solve via optimization though: The lighting is very different from desktop to VR. I'd like to be able to optimize my lighting on desktop and then see the same thing in VR. Keeping to different set of lighting is too much work.

Below is the same scene viewed on desktop (left) and VR (right). Both on the same settings, no raytracing, quality Ultra.

• Another thought: Ideally I wouldn't have to work with non-physical light at all, but only with physical lights which will actually be present in the project. This isn't a game where my main goal is to build something that looks great and can use all the lighting tricks. Looking good is a great secondary objective, but primary is to build as close to reality as possible and simulate that reality. I'd like light sources to only be light sources that will be present in the real-world building and I'd like Enscape to give me an idea if there's a too-dark corner or if shadows are going to be weird. Like a true light study.