we are getting a lot of messages regarding the missing Rhino 8 support in Enscape (both, here in the forums, on social media and by mail).
So we want to share some internal insights what is currently happening behind the curtains and provide an outlook on the next weeks.
Everybody that has used Enscape before 2023 should be aware that we are usually shipping a Service Pack to support the new version of a host application 2-4 weeks later at the latest. That's what you want, that's what we want.
This year, things are a bit different. Some of you might have heard that we are currently working on a major technology change for the software (which you will probably not even notice) that will allow to have one code base for Mac and Windows. This project takes time and eats up a lot of resources. That's also the reason why we did not have as many new features and improvements as we used to have in the past.
This project has the highest priority right now. We already faced some delays. This 4.0 release is currently planned for end of March 2024.
But how does this affect the implementation of Rhino 8 support?
In the last couple of months our development teams have been working closely together with the development teams of Rhino to get some critical bugs fixed that prevent us from shipping the integration.
But as you already understand, these are not easy to fix. That's why it is taking us so long.
The issue with that is, that we need to stop shipping Service Packs for the old technology at some point. Otherwise, it will be more or less 'wasted' effort and it would cause a further delay of 4.0 and therefore a delay of the whole roadmap for next year.
The last planned Service Pack that we decided to ship was released just a few minutes ago.
That means that we will not have an official version that is supporting Rhino 8 until 4.0 is released.
However, we are planning to provide a Preview version on the new technology in February that will support Rhino 8, so that you are able to keep using Enscape with your upgraded host application.
As I stated at the beginning, we know that this is not ideal. But forcing an earlier release will just cause more issues.
This situation is an edge case and after shipping 4.0, we will be able to return to our usual procedure.
Our colleagues at Rhino are also aware of this situation.
I hope you understand. We are open for any further question in that regard.