Rhino 8: Status quo and next steps

Please note: Should you experience issues with Enscape or your subscription, and in case of any urgent inquiries/questions (e.g. regarding our upcoming licensing changes) please reach out to our dedicated support team via the Help Center or Support button as detailed here.
  • So instead of take care of the experience for the existing users, you guys choose to expand the audience of your software.

We know this might be a good strategy to make more money, but is it really the correct way ?

We have saw so many software growing bigger and better with the users together; and also, we saw so much software died on the way of making more money.

Hope Enscape will not show up on this list, you should know Water can carry boats, and yet it can also capsize them too.

• Yeah, I fully agree with this.

The price of the product, and the users and companies using Enscape warrant much more attention than what they're giving it. No one I've spoken to in-industry has anything positive to say about the product over the last few years, and paired with pricing and incompatibilities it's getting ridiculous.

• Official Post

To anyone currently using Enscape for Mac with Rhino: you can feel free to check out our latest 4.0 Preview 1 we've just released, which now also supports Rhino 8 (Service Release 2):

forum.enscape3d.com/index.php?thread/25613/

Our latest Ensape for Mac preview can always be found here (after scrolling down a bit further below the preview for Windows).

• Welcome to our Forum and thanks for the inquiry.

You can check out our latest Enscape for Mac 4.0 Preview 1 we've just released, which also supports Rhino 8 now:

Our latest Ensape for Mac preview can always be found here (after scrolling down a bit further below the preview for Windows).

Ridiculous that there is a Mac 4.0 version, but no Windows!!!

• Welcome to our Forum and thanks for the inquiry.

You can check out our latest Enscape for Mac 4.0 Preview 1 we've just released, which also supports Rhino 8 now:

Thank you. But for those of us running WIndows, this is not a help. Is there a preview beta, for windows which can be released soon? It would be very helpful for the vast majority of your existing customers.

• Official Post

Thank you. But for those of us running WIndows, this is not a help. Is there a preview beta, for windows which can be released soon? It would be very helpful for the vast majority of your existing customers.

A dedicated preview of Enscape 4.0 for Windows including Rhino 8 support should indeed also follow soon (likely around middle of February). There is no release day or exact time frame I can mention yet, though I'll make sure to notify you and everyone else here in this thread again once I have a certain date to share.

• Considering the fact that for most rhino users, 3.4.4 was the absolute LAST working update, which was released in February 2023, this is extremely disappointing. My firm isnt able to upgrade to rhino 8 (Financial reasons) till at least may 2024. Which would mean that the 3.4.4 update has been used by us for nearly 1.5 years. You can take another look at the most viewed/replied to thread on the rhino enscape forum and truly see how you guys have screwed over your rhino users.

Also, one more point to note, is that for nearly a whole year, their support team has been asked for all of us to send them the logs and report the issues, send them the files etc. Instead of simply admitting they cannot/will not fix the error on their end, they chose to waste all our collective times in upgrading/downgrading, troubleshooting etc. it baffles me at the sheer downturn of enscape in quality since the chaos group merger. I honestly thought it would improve.

• jaias92 I knew it would go down simply because V-ray is the more popular and established software. It doesn't make sense to keep Enscape around when you can eventually merge Enscape into V-ray and charge more to a wider V-ray client base. I just wish Enscape would be more open and honest with whats really happening. It's obvious the priorities are elsewhere and they should just be up front about it.

• Considering the fact that for most rhino users, 3.4.4 was the absolute LAST working update, which was released in February 2023, this is extremely disappointing. My firm isnt able to upgrade to rhino 8 (Financial reasons) till at least may 2024. Which would mean that the 3.4.4 update has been used by us for nearly 1.5 years. You can take another look at the most viewed/replied to thread on the rhino enscape forum and truly see how you guys have screwed over your rhino users.

Also, one more point to note, is that for nearly a whole year, their support team has been asked for all of us to send them the logs and report the issues, send them the files etc. Instead of simply admitting they cannot/will not fix the error on their end, they chose to waste all our collective times in upgrading/downgrading, troubleshooting etc. it baffles me at the sheer downturn of enscape in quality since the chaos group merger. I honestly thought it would improve.

but, hey, we get to look forward to this "...we are currently working on a major technology change for the software (which you will probably not even notice)..."

• guys it is clear from long time rhino always last priority for enscape , tbh they fail in a lot of promises for rhino , also alot of things dropped from portal which already requested from users and they removed it without any notice , and i don't want to count things because there no point of it, it is still there in the forum unsolved , so not new to be disappointed, simply they have roadmap and it is made by them not by users requests at all and they follow this road map nothing else.

• A dedicated preview of Enscape 4.0 for Windows including Rhino 8 support should indeed also follow soon (likely around middle of February). There is no release day or exact time frame I can mention yet, though I'll make sure to notify you and everyone else here in this thread again once I have a certain date to share.

Hi again.

Now closer to mid february - will there be an update soon for Windows-Rhino 8.0 users?

Thank you

• Official Post

Hi again.

Now closer to mid february - will there be an update soon for Windows-Rhino 8.0 users?

Thank you

Rhino 8 support has now also been added with our latest Enscape 4.0 Preview 3 for Windows:

forum.enscape3d.com/index.php?thread/25854/

As always, in case you experience any issues whatsoever with that combination, please let us know by submitting it via a feedback report including log files:

Using the Feedback Button - select your design app - Enscape

We appreciate any further input in advance.

• What you are experiencing now is, to put it in an analogy, asking us to change the tires on an old bus that served us well but is being decommissioned while we are in the process of finishing the new and shiny bus that will come with the fresh tires from the get go. Time spent on the old will cut into time spent on the new and comes with diminished returns as work has to be duplicated.

I find this example quite amusing. In it, what Enscape suggests is not to change the tires on your bus. Instead, stay away from work for months until a new, fancier bus can pick you up. There's no need to go to work until you can do so in a better bus. That would be a waste of the bus company's money.

I share the appreciation for D5 here(personally), but we are too deeply entrenched(as a company). Habit keeps us sticking with Enscape, so ironically, Enscape is currently costing McNeel money. We have no intention of purchasing Rhino 8 before the two programs are thoroughly tested and integrated with each other. (R8 was a fairly disappointing upgrade option anyway, so maybe it's just a trend? Spend all the money on salespeople in the SaaS business and less on creating actually useful stuff.)

• HNY Perfect analogy about what is happening. I understand that some firms are stuck in their ways and switching programs is a hassle, but at what point would they switch to a better and cheaper program?

To add to the analogy, the "new" bus is just a reskin of the old one. The mechanic can make all the changes under the hood, that we don't see, but if the bus doesn't run any better, were the changes worth it?

• We have no intention of purchasing Rhino 8 before the two programs are thoroughly tested and integrated with each other.

You might consider upgrading while there is still a $200 discount available. (or at least buying the licenses, even if you don't install it - you can run both 7 and 8 concurrently.) You know support is going to come eventually, and McNeel is practically the only software that still charges per release instead of a subscription model. It's not likely to get any cheaper. Unless you want to dig in with Rhino7 and an outdated Enscape until Rhino 9 comes out.

Rhino - Buy - Rhinoceros (rhino3d.com)

Rhino Upgrade – ArchVision®

• You might consider upgrading while there is still a $200 discount available. (or at least buying the licenses, even if you don't install it - you can run both 7 and 8 concurrently.) You know support is going to come eventually, and McNeel is practically the only software that still charges per release instead of a subscription model. It's not likely to get any cheaper. Unless you want to dig in with Rhino7 and an outdated Enscape until Rhino 9 comes out.

You are right, and we probably will. Buying before the discount runs out (tomorrow?) was actually why i revisited this forum. And i do agree that McNeel is "one of the good guys" with their licensing strategy. It was wrong of me to use R8 as an example of poorly distributed workforce. My frustration on that subject is more fueled by AutoDesk, Microsoft and Adobe ATM.

• After quite a lot testing,

Actually, old Enscape version can work with Rhino 8 under the legacy .net framework mode, such like version 3.4.4 and 3.5.2 and so on.

You can simply change the .net core to .net framework in Rhino 8 via the command "SetDotNetRuntime".

But there is no guaranty it works perfectly. (there is always a but)

:D