Creating a model 10x larger to have better lighting and material detail ?!

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hello everyone,

This has been rambling in my head for some time now.

I will design a jewelry store and probably have lots of detailed lighting which I think will not have good results with line or rectangle lighting in pretty small areas.

I was thinking if I try to make the model 10 times bigger(or any decent percentage that makes the lights and for example carpet texture more detailed) I probably have not the issue with small areas.

I think I am probably going to have a problem with textures but maybe can solve it with sizing.

Has anyone already tried this method?

the main reason for this change is to have a soft editable linear light in tiny little areas and especially detailed lights for the pieces of jewelry.

Thanks.

• Interesting...

No one ever thought about that?

I've gone the opposite way, making the model much smaller in order to get "taller" grass.

For carpet textures, you might also break the floor into multiple pieces. I've seen interior designers map entire office floors with one carpet layout from Illustrator (since there were some unique elements, and not just a repeated 2x2 square or whatever.) Since Skp, Revit, and Enscape all tend to downscale and not use anything over 4k anyway, it did not look great...

Will be curious to see if/how it effects the lighting, please report back!

• Lighting falloff is dependent on real-world distance so the lighting intensity would have to increased significantly to achieve the same result with a larger model. You could model everything at 10x scale and then group it and shrink it back to real-world size when rendering. I do that with lighting components all the time because the default size of the light objects in the model are quite large. This way the light sources are smaller in the model and I can more easily locate them closer without the geometry overlapping.

• Well, I tried some simple examinations and these are the early results:

As a general explanation, I made a simple model in 3 different sizes, Normal size, 3x larger, and 10 times smaller. I also sent the SketchUp screenshots for the lighting source arrangement to be visible. In all three sizes, light sources have been scaled down in size(using SketchUp scale), and light intensity changed relative to the size( for example if in normal size it is 50 lums, in 0.1 size it is 5 and in large one it is 150 lums). I only set the lights in higher rows so the cyan and red rows are not important.

As you may see there is a single spotlight on the left box, a triple spotlight on the second one, and a row of rectangle lights on the last(right) one.

For more detailed exams I also made the 3rd and 4th boxes in the largest sample lightened with 2 more sets of spots. One (3rd one) with the same intensity but scaled in size, and another one(4th one) with a row of spotlights.

I like the larger one, especially in the spotlights comparison as it is more mild and ranged and I think in these small models(normal size for example) the spotlights cannot be seen as detailed.

The main purpose of this trial was to check if it is better to enlarge the model for small spots to be detailed and lightened, as I mentioned in the first post, in a jewelry store.