Overlay information in Enscape VR?

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hi,

I'm using Enscape and an Oculus Quest 2 which is great; but what I really need is some overlay functionality so that within Enscape VR I can bring up additional windows within VR (eg a cost summary for a particular fitout).

Is there a way to do this?

1. I've tried OVR Toolkit, which works pretty well in Steam VR - but Enscape does not run through Steam VR so OVR can't interface (and also Enscape does not play nicely with Steam VR active, framerate and stability is terrible)
    2. I can't export as a standalone .exe and run through Steam VR as my company IT policy prohibits the running of .exe files.
    3. I've considered Virtual Desktop but I don't believe that gives the functionality to open windows in VR (and apparently that requires a wired connection to a router, wireless won't work? I'm running Enscape/VR on a laptop, intended to be taken around client properties so wired to a route isn't an option)

So I'm a bit stuck, does anyone have any ideas about how I could achieve this?

Thanks

• Ok, update. Might be of use to someone somewhere!

So after a lot of faffing around with Virtual Desktops, it seemed to be as simple as ensuring you use Steam VR. With Steam VR running you can bring your desktop and any documentation you like into the VR interface. Click the button on the left hand Quest controller and Steam VR opens with the option to display various desktop windows, dock them to your hands, float them in the VR space etc. This means I can have a user in the VR space and they can view a pdf with say, fitout costs, carbon impacts of a particular fitout without leaving the VR space.

Not sure if this is a universal solution, or if there is a more elegant way to do it but it seems to work. Steam VR also has a few occasional issues with Enscape, so that might be the trade off.

• Official Post

Hey BarryFishFinger , just figured that out myself over the holidays. Same thing goes with the native Quest Link on PC Oculus, just open the window you want docked in VR on the PC and pin it so it shows up in VR. Actually learned about that while learning the basics of Quill, a four year old tutorial. So much to explore...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Ah! Kaj Burival, thats really helpful! Your Quill video shows the native Oculus desktop switcher in use - which I'd forgotten existed because I tried it briefly at the start of this project and it didn't work, just shows a black screen.

So I did a bit of digging as to why and as it turns out you have set the Oculus.exe in the Windows display/graphics settings to use the 'power saving' mode (ie don't let Windows decide, force it to use the onboard graphics card rather than the 4090). Once that's done and you've restarted, I can load the desktop within Enscape VR by clicking on the Oculus home button (right hand controller).

So the functionality is slightly lower, you can't dock the desktop window to your controllers like you can with Steam VR, - HOWEVER! its vastly more stable - Steam VR started crashing again not long after I posted my original message. And moving/resizing the window via Oculus is much more intuitive.

So a much better solution, crucially from a stability perspective. Its not going to look good if I get to the clients property and they're walking round in VR and everything falls over because Steam VR has thrown a wobbly again. I've made OpenXR the default in Oculus now rather than SteamVR so it no longer opens at all when Enscape is run, again with improvements to stability.

Thanks very much!

• Official Post

Ha! You in turn helped me as well - the Desktop shows black for me as well in VR. I just opened individual windows (Chrome in that case), those could be displayed just fine. Anyways, great to explore together :)

1. Enscape Feature Requests:
      • Check if Enscape has a feature request or feedback platform. Suggesting the need for overlay functionality directly within Enscape VR for additional windows could be valuable.
    2. Enscape Forums or Support:
      • Engage with the Enscape community through forums or support channels. Other users might have found solutions or workarounds for similar requirements.
    3. Alternative VR Tools:
      • Explore other VR tools or applications that offer overlay features. Some VR applications provide multi-window capabilities, and you could potentially switch between Enscape and these tools as needed.
    4. Virtual Desktop and Oculus Dash:
      • Although you mentioned concerns with Virtual Desktop, it's worth checking if Oculus Dash, the built-in feature of Oculus headsets, provides any overlay functionalities. Oculus Dash allows you to access your desktop in VR.
    5. Enscape Plugin Development:
      • If you have programming skills or access to developers, consider exploring the possibility of developing a custom plugin for Enscape that provides the overlay functionality you need.
    6. Oculus Quest Developer Community:
      • Engage with the Oculus Quest developer community. Developers may have insights or tools that could enhance your VR experience with overlay functionality.