Enscape Material Textures Stored in Memory - All lost at each Opening of the Model

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape (including installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here. Thank you for your understanding.
  • I'm working on a large, worksessioned model located on my company's central drive, with multiple users accessing it at different intervals. We only open the model every few months to update renderings, and every single time we open the model, about anywhere from a 1/4 to all of the stored textures on any enscape materials are completely missing, coming up with the orange "invalid texture" image instead. Additionally, mapping seems to be completely reset, so even if I do manager to decipher which texture belongs with which material, I still need to go into each worksessioned model and adjust all of the texture mapping. I've narrowed this down to the fact that all of the textures are being stored in a temp folder on the last user's local drive, rather than pulling from the place where they have been linked.

This is infuriating and is causing hours and hours of wasted time. I cannot understand why there isn't a way to keep this textures stored within the model or at least linked to their central location. Do i need to forego use of the "enscape" material time and stick to Rhino materials? That seems absurd given the fact that I'm using Enscape.

I understand that more organized file structure could make reassigning these textures easier, and I'm working on doing that now. However, it hardly seems to be the main issue as I shouldn't have to do this at all. I have never had this issue using enscape with sketchup, but I find it hard to beleive it's a rhino issue given that all of my "rhino" textures remain in place no matter who opens this.

Please consider adjusting this behavior or at the very least allowing the option between local or linked textures somehow. I assume this is linked to an issue I and others had previoulsy where my temp folder would balloon with enscape textures and fill up my entire harddrive when using enscape with a large model.

Beyond frustrated with this program and the way it feels effectively useless with rhino. When using it 2+ years ago, it was slow, but seamless and I never had any of these issues, regardless of model size or complexity. I don't understand how it's gotten so much worse.

• As per Rhino 8: Status quo and next steps The likelihood anything gets fixed until March, but more likely Q4 of 2024 is very low.

I've run into this multiple times as well switch from at home work to in office. There are just differences in the way files are saved between sketch-up and rhino that allow sketch-up file textures to stay linked to the model. The only work around I've found is to keep texturing to a single computer so all the files stay linked. In a group setting though this method could be problematic.

You will loose the some functionality of Enscape if you only use Rhino materials if you didn't already know that. Enscape doesn't convert Rhino materials over, so things like displacement maps and such will not transfer. As per the post, supposedly some fixes will be included in the march update but based on the developmental track record of Enscape, Rhino materials are not likely to be integrated in Enscape ever.