Frosted glass - 2 sided

• I have been struggling to create a frosted glass that is frosted on both sides. See attached images, I am able to create a generic material with colour white, and transparency to make frosted glass. However, it is only frosted on the side that the sun hits; once you enter the building it's just slightly dark and fully transparent.

I have tried using generic and glass on a curtain wall panel, and I have also tried a generic mass with generic and a glass material. I always have the same issue of the glass only working one way.

Any ideas?

• Hi Ryley-G & welcome to our forums!

What you're showing here is more of a lighting problem and has nothing to do with the material beeing two-sided or not. Unfortunately correct shading of a semi-transparent material like this turns out to be quite difficult to do well in real-time. That's why Enscape uses several optimizations, including a rough estimation of the atmosphere occlusion of semi-transparent objects. In this case the occlusion calculation results in the inwards facing side of the window beeing mainly occluded from the atmosphere and is therefore rendered darker, which makes it appear more transparent.

You might want to try to use a solid glass material instead if this matches your purpose, as the shading will be more consistent.

• Clemens Musterle Maybe it could be possible to get a light emissive effect. A light emissive color could be added to fake the missing diffuse color. Adding a constant color to a surface can't be so expensive for real time or?

For example adding a light emissive effect works for metals and I used it from time to time to get lighter metals in dark areas. (At Vray I mix reflection+diffuse, but at Enscape the simplier fake reflection+emissive is better than nothing.)

So, if it works for metals, maybe it could work for diffuse materials too. It's a classic translucency bake lighting fake from the early days of CG.

This little change could be added to the current materials without changes of the UI. At the moment at Rhino, if I set a emissive color than the diffuse color calculation is internal disabled. Why not simple add the emissive color to the diffuse color? Like an offset?

Here an example, the brushed metal kick plate was to dark and the golden metal reflection was to contrastful. I added very light emissive color like RGB (2,2,2). So I got the brighter kick plate and the used look at the golden metal.