IFC-import

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Greetings!

Me and my coworker have a complex issue that we could need some help with.

We created a few concept models in Archicad for our exam project, and we used Enscape for assets and textures. We then found out we have to deliver this as IFC files, as the standard program for our studies is Revit.

When we export this project to IFC and open it in Revit, we are missing all textures and assets are just all grey.

Our questions are:

- Will this even work? Even if we find the correct IFC translator settings in ArchiCAD, will enscape be able to read the assets and textures in Revit?

- Does anyone have any tips on this subject? We have a deadline in 10 days, and we would prefer not to rebuild and re-texture our enitre projects in Revit.

It seems revit does not know where to find the textures from the Archicad/Enscape file/library.

All enscape assets show as orange objects (as expected) in Revit, but are all grey when you load Enscape via Revit.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• I have never attempted to change modeling software like this from Archicad to Revit in the middle of a project. But I assume you are going to need to recreate some of the environment and piece together the rest of it.

I think I would need some screen shots to be able to determine if there's a workaround. Without knowing more I would think the only way to recreate the project in Revit using assets and materials from Enscape is to

• Save any custom assets created in the asset library.
    • Save any custom materials as matpkg for use in the Enscape material editor across platforms.
    • Export all Archicad geometry as a standalone IFC.
    • Assess whether the IFC in Revit is reading unique textures that just need to be adjusted in the Enscape material editor. REMINDER: Revit will create materials in place of materials when necessary some of which may not read correctly in Enscape.
    • If you are able to see that the IFC is properly textured, meaning the textures are correctly named and assigned to the correct geometry, you can then make sure they are simply set to be the correct material types to be read in Enscape. After that you may need to reassign the matpkg in Enscape.

Side note, I have been using a workflow in Revit 2024 for creating assets from Sketchup and Solidworks. Sometimes I will need to use Autodesk Form it to adjust materials and geometry in Form it and then import Form it files into RFA to read properly.

Regardless of the geometry and material origin I have always found that across platforms I have to adjust materials in the final modeling program using the Enscape material browser. Sometimes my imported geometry has materials that are good representations but not as intended in Enscape.

I have found the only way to ensure model and material translating directly from one place such as Sketchup to Revit is to create a custom asset in Sketchup's Enscape asset creator exporting the matpkg just in case.

Then, loading from the Revit Enscape custom asset creator.

I have to replace assets, but this allows me to reuse the asset geometry and materials.

• Hi,

Thank you for the very good response.

I have done some more research, and it seems there is no easy fix and it would take less time to recreate the visualisation and assets than it would take to find a solution.

The attached images are the best i can do, which is exported RVT. from ArchiCAD.

It retains geometry in direct shapes but no textures.