Enscape 4.0 Released

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
    • Official Post

I have 24gb vram and 128gb system ram, yet on a scene that is around a mile long and wide with only Enscape vegetation, wind off it consumes way too much ram, and then eventually it gets stuck and I need to end task in the taskmaster.

I cannot share the model as it's part of an upcoming TV show.

Thanks for the explanation, I'm surprised to see such a high RAM consumption, albeit it's difficult to judge where this could be coming from. A 1 by 1 mile area with tightly placed vegetation assets can of course result in possibly multiple millions of assets, which also will have to be represented in your CAD (Sketchup I believe).

The improvements I mentioned mostly refer only to VRAM consumption, it seems to be different problem on your end, as the Taskmanager suggests very low VRAM usage at this point.

• I know it's only a beta, but I'm failing to see the ray trace artificial light feature work at all. If anything, it dramatically reduces the quality of my lighting as it appears to ignore IES data built into my can light family and sharpens the shadows. Turning the feature off seems to fix things.

As well, it appears to not work for emissive materials, which I use for light strips. I couldn't notice a difference at all for areas where I use lots of emissive light strips, like undercounter lighting or accent lighting in general.

Image 1 is with the feature turned off, image 2 turned on.

Revit 2024

• Official Post

IES Profiles are supported with the ray traced artificial lights. I think in this example it's less visible, because the light sources is placed so far into the can itself, that it with the ray traced shadows it now casts a shadow in the upper area. I'd suggest moving the origin of the actual light source directly on the bottom of the can instead to mitigate that. This shadow was previously not visible with the shadow mapped based lighting. Also, if you want to have similar softer shadows as before you can increase the size of the light source - this will now directly correlate to the shadow sharpness, while before it was the same for all light sizes.

Emissive materials are not handled as direct light sources in Enscape and therefore there's no difference with the setting enabled. However the algorithm implemented for the ray traced artificial lights will indeed allow us to do that in the future, while this will not be possible with the shadow mapping based approach.

• Alright, I'll try to update the families. It explains why one of my light families looked fine with ray tracing on, while most did not.

Previously I'd always "embed" the light source within the family geometry as Enscape would ignore any revolve/extrusion piece that the light was sitting in. With ray tracing on, it seems to be that I can't do that anymore and will need to actually have the light source exist outside of geometry.

The issue is a lot of our lights we use aren't simple down lights... how would you recommend I place the light source for something like the below image? in the past I'd place it in the center of the part that attaches the fixture of the wall, therefore telling enscape too ignore the wall attachment point for shadows. If I can't place the light source within geometry anymore, it'd have to be placed above or below it, but that would throw off the symmetry and introduce shadows from the center piece that attaches to the wall (unless the ray tracing will eliminate the shadows?)

• Managed to figure out a good method for lighting with the above, just took some trial and error to figure out the best place to put the light source with the new ray tracing.

However new issue....

Exports seem to take an extremely long time to do now. Especially panorama. Before I could do a pano and it be done rendering in under a minute. Now it takes almost 5 minutes per panorama, an insane loss in time efficiency.

EDIT: turning off artificial light ray tracing was the issue. I guess I'll just have to be strategic on how I enable it, as it just takes way too long to export panos otherwise.

Dropped Support for TIFF/TGA File Formats

The support for TIFF/TGA files formats is dropped due to technical limitations.

What...................>???!

My library is 90% Tiff as they are lossless and generally the file to get from any texture library...

uh oh - what technical limitations were you actually having here?

• Unfortunately, this is not possible as I did not renew my subscription and a couple of weeks ago, I uninstalled Enscape due to these issues.

Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately very understandable. Another long time user who is seeking greener pastures.

I think the Enscape team really has to do some soul-searching and ask themselves if this is really the time they should be diverging in a totally different market (building performance) rather than investing in their core product. (In a recent video from Chaos on youtube they showed a short demo of Enscape having a new feature to perform (extremely basic) building performance analysis).

Clearly, the eye is not sufficiently on the ball atm.

• What...................>???!

My library is 90% Tiff as they are lossless and generally the file to get from any texture library...

uh oh - what technical limitations were you actually having here?

Why are you using these lossless files if Enscape was already compressing/downsampling them in the first place? Both links below are responses I've received the past when asking about resolution/quality of materials.

• Why are you using these lossless files if Enscape was already compressing/downsampling them in the first place? Both links below are responses I've received the past when asking about resolution/quality of materials.

Because I don't want the added overhead of further customising data sets for another specific use case. I can probably batch convert all my TIFFS to JPEGS, but will not.

We are a small firm - further 'speciality' use cases destroy our productivity.

I honestly don't care if they are downsampled already - thanks for enlightening me - thats disappointing, but not too surprising.

I'd expect Enscape to follow industry norms of data sets/models/textures etc. They obviously do not. Removing Tiff/TGA support and downsampling as you suggest is further evidence of this.

It's okay, however the use cases for Enscape are narrowing as realtime rendering has caught up in the industry as a whole.

• They had a few existing features removed this release that were somehow problematic to whatever changes/updates they made. It's definitely the wrong call for them to remove or break features with a release update, especially without making a special point to let everyone know beforehand AND give a timeline for when it'll be patched back in. Hoping we can get some more communication regarding these things.

• New
    • Official Post

Demian, thank you very much for the feedback.

To clarify what we're referring to, I'm sending a video comparing data input between different versions. Data input.mp4

Just a brief update, but this should now be resolved with our latest preview 2 of Enscape 4.1. Thank you once more for reporting this to us! :)

• I am having an issue with memory usage in the latest version. Just updated to 4.02 after having same problems with 4.0. I am working with small files generally on one off house renovation projects. On my latest project the file size is 17mb but I am running into ram issues. I have 13 views set up. As I run through them in the enscape window the ram usage gets steadily higher and higher until it runs out and enscape crashes. Then I have to force stop and start again.

I am on a fairly low spec I5 with an RTX 2060 but its always been fine on my small projects and I have worked on larger files with no issue in the previous version.

Is this a known issue?

• New
    • Official Post

I am having an issue with memory usage in the latest version. Just updated to 4.02 after having same problems with 4.0. I am working with small files generally on one off house renovation projects. On my latest project the file size is 17mb but I am running into ram issues. I have 13 views set up. As I run through them in the enscape window the ram usage gets steadily higher and higher until it runs out and enscape crashes. Then I have to force stop and start again.

I am on a fairly low spec I5 with an RTX 2060 but its always been fine on my small projects and I have worked on larger files with no issue in the previous version.

Is this a known issue?

Thank you for the report and for also testing out our latest service pack as it released - As a next step since our developers would also like to investigate this further could you kindly submit a dedicated report including log files as detailed here: https://learn.enscape3d.com/bl…sing-the-feedback-button/

This way we receive all of your machine information as well as said log files which should help with troubleshooting this further, whether ray-tracing is enabled or not.

Kindly let me know once sent in and I can have a look right away! Once more thank you in advance.