Sketchup crashes EVERYTIME we place an Enscape light

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • PLEASE HELP US!

We are stuck with work and cannot deliver the work to clients who pay

we have a macbook pro M1, Sketchup 2024 and obviously Enscape with the latest updated version

You can't put a light on and set it and Sketchup closes suddenly

It's really impossible to work like this! We have paid handsomely for this program and have been dealing with this problem for months, which has become unmanageable for a few days

Help us please!

• Go to Best Answer
    • Official Post

Hello Aurora 2017 srl , and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing

Unfortunately, crashes while placing lights is a bug our developers are aware of and have pinpointed as the result of Sketchup's API overwriting the geometry of our lighting options. Unfortunately, because this is Sketchup's native code, there isn't anything our developers can do on our side. We have alerted Trimble of this and are still awaiting feedback.

In the meantime, I recommend that if you encounter a Sketchup Bug Splat after this occurs, go ahead and submit it to Trimble with what you've described along with that you've reached out to us about this.

As a potential workaround, please only place lights in nested groups or components and not directly in the Sketchup viewport. If the light object is placed inside an existing object, it is more likely to avoid conflicts.

Thank you!

• Hey there,

I was experiencing the same issue and discovered a workaround that allowed me to at least meet a deadline. I opened up a blank model in SketchUp 2023, created the lights I needed, and then copied and pasted it into my 2024 model. Once you have the lights in 2024, you can edit and duplicate them as needed. I am on Windows but I hope this works for you too. Also hope this gets resolved soon!

• Per your suggestion, I opened a new file and created a group to place the light objects, and SketchUp kept crashing randomly. I tested all the escape light objects with the same result, and no bug splash was created.

We have a SketchUp Studio and Pro subscription, and the same issue happened on two different computers. Also, I disabled the scan essential extension and had the same problem.

We have installed the Nvidia driver (Quadro A6000& A5000), and we have three escape licenses: two floating and one perpetual. The last updated SketchUp 2024 is installed on both PCs.

Do you have any idea when this issue is going to be resolved?

Looking forward to a solution, please keep us updated.

Thank you,

• Official Post

Thanks for your post.

At the moment we're currently still working on resolving this behavior - I have no exact ETA yet as to when this will be fixed, but we're definitely aware of the urgency here.

Just for your information, if you still feel as if you may also experience crashes which might not be entirely related to just this issue here at hand, feel free to also please just submit a report to our support team which allows them to tell you right away what the exact problem is based on the submitted log files / machine information. Feel free to generally submit any ongoing problems this way in the future, especially of course if there might be something else causing you issues.

• Hey there,

I was experiencing the same issue and discovered a workaround that allowed me to at least meet a deadline. I opened up a blank model in SketchUp 2023, created the lights I needed, and then copied and pasted it into my 2024 model. Once you have the lights in 2024, you can edit and duplicate them as needed. I am on Windows but I hope this works for you too. Also hope this gets resolved soon!

Tried this too - able to copy it in begin transforming/copying and then suddenly get a crash when opening up the enscape settings to adjust light radius/power. I'm doing this within components.

• As a potential workaround, please only place lights in nested groups or components and not directly in the Sketchup viewport. If the light object is placed inside an existing object, it is more likely to...

Push... None of these workarounds work for me with Sketchup 24 and the latest Enscape... Not even the workaround with the Sketchup checkbox "Fix problems automatically", switching to the Classic Engine, etc. It's despairing. Why isn't light placement additional in Enscape, just like assets? Then there would be no compatibility problems.

I have now installed Sketchup 22 and Enscape 3.5.6 again. There are no problems here. Sketchup 22 and Enscape 4 have exactly the same problem. So it's NOT the new graphics engine, but definitely Enscape 4.

I hope this bug is your top priority, because Enscape is completely useless for me, especially since I just ordered a Quest 3 to use with Enscape 4... I can put it in the corner for now, because with 3.5 Unfortunately the quality is not there.

• Additionally:

I'm using Win 11 with an RTX4090 and the latest Studio drivers, 128GB RAM.

I would also set the lights in SU22 and Enscape 3.5.6 and then copy them to SU24 with Enscape 4 but unfortunately it is also not possible to use two versions of Enscape on one operating system with different applications.

What I don't understand: Why do you say that Enscape 4 is compatible with SU24 if there is such an essential bug? It has now taken me more than 2 days to get everything back to the old state. The least I expect is for you to correct that Enscape 4 is NOT compatible with SU24 until the issue is resolved. At the moment it's just in the footnote under "Known Issues".

We're not talking about an open source program here, but rather a commercial product that many people use to make a living. For me, a project is now definitely on the brink.

No offense is meant and I also understand that all software has to struggle with errors, but then it's better to wait until all core functions are available before releasing it. Please, dear Enscape team: We need a solution quickly, because your software is otherwise simply great.

• This issue has not been resolved(!)...

and as far as direct contact with support is concerned: All well and good, but this is about a bug that a lot of people have. I think it makes sense that other affected people can also take part in this discussion and share news and workarounds that really work.

• Official Post

Is there any ETA on this light issue?

Welcome to our Forum CKRO ,

We are close to having this behavior resolved internally with the help of SketchUp themselves, and a fix for this should now be arriving the upcoming next Wednesday - Once that update has been released I will certainly notify everyone here in this Forum who still experiences this.

This issue has not been resolved(!)...

and as far as direct contact with support is concerned: All well and good, but this is about a bug that a lot of people have. I think it makes sense that other affected people can also take part in this discussion and share news and workarounds that really work.

Please pardon that, the user himself set it to "Resolved" but I've reset the status accordingly. Of course it's also fine to talk about any ongoing problems here in the Forum, it's just that most of the time the first step is to ideally receive a report from that corresponding machine especially when it comes to a fresh problem, though it depends on the context of course.

• Welcome to our Forum CKRO ,

We are close to having this behavior resolved internally with the help of SketchUp themselves, and a fix for this should now be arriving the upcoming next Wednesday - Once that update has been released I will certainly notify everyone here in this Forum who still experiences this.

Please pardon that, the user himself set it to "Resolved" but I've reset the status accordingly. Of course it's also fine to talk about any ongoing problems here in the Forum, it's just that most of the time the first step is to ideally receive a report from that corresponding machine especially when it comes to a fresh problem, though it depends on the context of course.

Hi Demian,

that sounds good :) Thank your very much!

• Hi, agreed this issue is persistent and unresolved. I have ongoing and constant issues with placing all lights across all my models in Enscape 4. The workarounds suggested above do not work for me. Please resolve this issue urgently.

Thanks

• Welcome to our Forum CKRO ,

good news, please keep me posted. Thank you Demian