HTC VIVE Pro + Wireless headset glitch

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hi All,

We have an issue that seems to be Enscape related.

It's easier to explain in person or over the phone but for now we will have to do with email.

We have the VIVE Pro.

We have the Vive wireless adaptor.

It all works well.

We are seeing an issue with Enscape (Enscape executables only, not any other games or Prospect) where when you move your head the graphics glitch and drop to a lower resolution for a frame or so. This only happens on the headset not on the HUD on screen. We have tried the latest version of drivers. We have tried older versions of drivers. We have tried older executables we have tried latest versions of enscape. We still see the issue no matter what version of drivers we use.

The Specs of our machine is:

Intel Xeon, CPU E5-2690 v4 2.6GHz (56 CPUs)

64GB RAM

GTX 1080 Ti (11GB GPU)

Here are 5 screen shots. 3 from Enscape but 2 from the plank game and you can see the pink line is each time the graphics glitch to a lower res.

Please help as this is rendering our Enscape unsuable as is. I'm going o put this on the Forums too just in case anyone else has seen it or can help. Thanks!!!

Any thoughts guys?

• Official Post

Hi mikewood

what quality settings is Enscape running on in VR? The Vive Pro's resolution is quite high. Depening on the scene complexity (e.g. lot's of light sources or trees like on your screenshot) it may very well be the case, that you're not able to get fluent performance on quality level High or Ultra. Please try running Enscape on Medium or Draft quality while using the Vive Pro and see if that helps to keep the framerates more stable.

However I'm not sure what you're referring to here:

graphics glitch and drop to a lower resolution for a frame or so

In VR the resolution should be constant in Enscape. There's no automatic resolution reduction enabled in VR.

Hope that helps!

• Hi,

I tried it on lower res settings. The same still occurred. It was still Pinking out wher ethe Pink line would represent the glitch.

I'll explain this in greater detail:

"Where I say graphics glitch and drop to a lower resolution for a frame or so."

When you move your head or change what you see by moving. (Basically at times the processor needs to do some work.)

The graphics go down to lower resolution for a frame or so. So it doesn;t get blurry, but pixelated. Not quite 8 bit but enought to induce a bit more immersion sickness.

Like when it deso that "shadow rendering thing", makes teh picture a bit blurry to make the visuals feel smoother, instead it goes 8bit fuzzy.

Hope that explains it.

I'll try and figure out a way of doing a video of it for you.

Ready Player one game runs perfectly.

• Hi there Clemens Musterle , we we are also having the same problem that MikeWood is having above. The exact same problem.

Our PC is an i7 6-core, RAM 32GB, M2. 512GB SSD, nVidia RTX2080.

We have the HTC Vive Pro and the Vive Wireless adaptor.

We have the same issue with the image in the headset getting blurry/pixelated for a moment then it fixes itself. This happens constantly as you look around. Something has definitely changed in the last few versions of Enscape as even with the latest graphics drivers and the latest version of Enscape, the VR performance is much lower than we are use to seeing.

Any thoughts?

• Official Post

We have the HTC Vive Pro and the Vive Wireless adaptor.

We have the same issue with the image in the headset getting blurry/pixelated for a moment then it fixes itself. This happens constantly as you look around. Something has definitely changed in the last few versions of Enscape as even with the latest graphics drivers and the latest version of Enscape, the VR performance is much lower than we are use to seeing.

Thanks for your report! We actually didn't change much of the VR implementation between Enscape 2.3 and 2.4. Though performance could be slightly lower with lot's of grass on screen, we're working on improving that.

Apart from that I think we should distinguish between performance issues and your reports of having blurry/pixelated images. As I haven't experienced anything similar with the VivePro yet and you're both using the wireless adaptor, I'm wondering if this might rather be a hardware issue. Did you try if you're having the same issues running the Vive wired?

• Hey guys, I tested it and it is fine when we use it with a wire.

Hmmm.

I tested the ready player one game and that is not only fun but also perfect.

I tested prospect pro (sorry to mention them) and that also works fine.

It's an odd one and although it might be a hardware issue with using the wireless headset its only happens on Enscape.
    So the two common denominators are Enscape and the wireless headset. The wireless headset is awesome!
    Please please please take a look at this.

I will test a non-pro headset today too.

:)

• Official Post

Hey mikewood , just to make sure that this isn't a Wireless adapter hardware issue, is there any chance you could try another VIVE adapter (same model of course) to see if this would help with this problem? :)

• Hi.

We only have one wireless adapter. It's limit one per customer. :)
    However DanielCarpio tried a different one and he is seeing the same issue.

It is only seen with Enscape. When Enscape is being used with the wireless headset.
    Not seen with any other software when being used with the wireless headset.

Do you guys have a wireless Pro headset in the office? Perhaps you guys should test it to see what we mean?

You're welcome to my office and I'll show you.

Mike

• Official Post

Hey mikewood , thanks for your further response. I'll forward this subject to our developers again, thank you for the offer as well. :) We'll get back to you once there'll be any news!

• Official Post

mikewood , I'm afraid, our assumption is that the general overall lower performance is responsible for these quality issues which are persistent when using the Vive wireless. We are in fact busy improving performance in VR further and further, but there is currently not much we can do to help with this behavior at hand.

• Demian. It doesnt seem to be a wireless issue at all as VR Games and Prospect are reported to be working fine. It seems to be an issue with Enscape and Wireless. If the issue is not occuring wired then its not a straight performance issue, its a enscape wireless issue.

Please dont drop the ball here, wired is one the biggest holdbacks to VR, the Vive Wireless frees you from that and will become a standard as costs come down.

We are waiting for our wireless adapters to arrive in aus and worried now they wont work.

• Demian Gutberlet Thanks for your response.

It's not an overall lower performance issue with the wireless headset. In fact, on everything we've tried the immersion is far greater with the wireless headset.
    There is no lag or dropping of frames. If there is, it's not percievable. Only on enscape. Once you move your head and the picture needs to re-render.

If Enscape is not compatible with the wireless headset this needs to be stated. As the wireless adaptor is such a fantastic leap.

DC8Studio  DanielCarpio Fancy a call to triangulate our findings?
    :thumbsup:

This is me:
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/woody44/

• we cant contribute on wireless atm, still waiting for ours.

We stopped using standard vive and only use the pro now as its so much better.

We want to expand our VR room experience in scale though so you could walk around a whole kitchen/bathroom space. The wireless setup was key to that.

• mikewood  DC8Studio  DanielCarpio the Vive Wireless Adapter works at 60Ghz frequency which is massiv. So I presume the bottleneck is not the transfer rate of the wireless connection.

And the wireless adapter only transmits the hdmi output to the headset which isn't directly connected to Enscape.

Enscape is unique as it renders in real-time with live feedback to your model. This is more heavy than games or other lower quality VR outputs as Prospect.

So glitches in VR usually occur with drops of the framerate.

• Have you tested the behavior with wireless Vive like Mikewood did?
    • Is it getting better if you turn down the Rendering Quality in Enscape?
  • Its an interesting problem.

Hard to explain but in the pas the render kind of "fuzzed" in. Like it created a shadow of what you were looking at, whilst it rendered. It felt quite a bit
    more natural.

This doesn't happen with the wireless headset. Instead it glitches. It wouldn't be too bad but it also kinks your view ever so slightly so the immersion sickness is amplified. And therefore renders our enscape capabilites useless.

Have you guys at Enscape got a wireless headset to test?

• Official Post

mikewood , we do not have a wireless headset to test this behavior, although even if we were to reproduce it, there is not much we can do regarding this besides generally further improving Enscape's VR performance. As Jonathan asked, does this get better when you turn down the "Rendering Quality", to low for example?

• Hi Demian,

It still does it. At the same intervauls. Unfortunately the quality doesn't affect it.
    However the overall performance is improved (obviously) so it kind of misleads you to think it does affect it.

I strongly suggest you guys pick up a wireless headset and test this out. More and more of us are getting them now.

Mike.

• Official Post

mikewood , thanks for your reply. We'll try to get an adapter as soon as possible to reproduce this ourselves, but I cannot promise that we'll be able to resolve this behavior at hand since it may very well be not Enscape related at all. But, again, we'll test it. :) I'll get back to you once there'll be any news!