HTC VIVE Pro + Wireless headset glitch

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • mikewood we had other users using the wireless adapters before without any issue.

But in the Vive and not the Vive Pro.

We've ordered a wireless adapter to check it ourselves and will come back to you.

• I'm having a similar issue. We've recently upgraded from a wired vive setup to a wireless adapter paired with the vive pro. In the old setup viewing was smooth at ultra setting. The new setup with the vive pro and wireless adapter has what I would describe as "lag" at the ultra setting. My initial thought was that the wireless adapter was the cause of this lag. I have done both wired and wireless tests with the vive pro and found both connections to have this lag. After reading this thread I reduced the rendering quality but still saw lag up until the draft setting. I switched back to the standard vive headset and viewing was smooth at any setting.

This makes me believe that the increased resolution of the vive pro is the cause of my "lag" and possibly everyone else's "glitch". I have not experienced lag in any program other than the enscape stand alone files.

Kyle

• I just sent my wireless receiver back per Htc's recommendation. I've spent about 2 to 3 hours with their tech support (awesome tech support). I have a vive pro with wireless and was getting lag in both games and Revit. I am not sure, but it appears that multiple sessions of the Vive software start running (looking with Microsoft Task Manager) with these clitches showing up. I'm running a new AMD treadripper 12/24, EVGA 2080Ti, 32 Gigs of ram off of a 1 TB M2 drive. Calculations have not been an issue. I could switch back to hardwired and all cleared up. I think it could be in the basic wireless technology.through it all I changed multiple times between wireless and hard wired, with consistent failure on wireless. I will report back when my new receiver comes in.

• Official Post

The HTC Vive wireless adapter arrived and we're gonna do some testing now. :) I'll get back to you once I have any news regarding this subject. Thank you all so far for the feedback!

• Official Post

Thanks everyone for their patience.

We've been able to reproduce some of the issues you've reported with our VivePro when it's running in wireless mode. Explicitly worse latency and reprojection artifacts (which lead to tearing/distortions of the image). These issue were a lot less visible when running on draft quality, so it's very likely that they're mostly performance/frame rate related.

Since Enscape is doing exactly the same thing when running in wireless or wired mode there's unfortunately not much we can do on our end the moment. We'll get into contact with Htc/SteamVR on that matter, since it's likely a hardware/driver specific issue of the wireless setup.

For the time beeing I'd recommend to either work with lower quality settings or go with a wired setup if possible.

• Thanks everyone! We have since reverted back to wired mode. Everyone at the office was excited about the wireless experience but the quality and performance drop was just too significant.

Let us know if you guys see any sort of improvement on Enscape performance with the wireless setup in the future.

The sad thing is that all our other VR applications ran flawlessly with the wireless setup, but we primary use Enscape for our VR, so we had to switch back.

Thanks again and keep us in the loop please! Everyone wants wireless! :D

• DanielCarpio You're right, everyone wants wireless VR :D

We need to wait for the responses of HTC. As it is only occuring with the wireless connecter, after its rendered, we have to figure out what is causing the issues here.

• I'm also doing work with Vive Pro and Vive Wireless. One important note that we discovered is that currently the Wireless adapter does all video compression using CPU resources. This means that if you are running something that is very CPU intense, this will starve the Wireless adapter of CPU cycles to meet it's compression frame rate.

• Have you guys heard back from HTC on this?

It's probably a massive change required in how enscape fundamentally works to incorporate how the wireless headset actually decompresses /transmits the data.
    Weird one. I look forward to hearing about any developments on this. Good or bad. Always - Feedback IS progress.

Thanks guys!

Mike

• Official Post

No news just yet mikewood I'm afraid. Once there'll be any further progress on this matter we'll let you know! :)

• Official Post

mikewood , have you already tried the following:

You could even set it a bit lower, as this may very well help alongside lowering the Rendering Quality.

Looking forward to your feedback! :)

• I am having the quality issues mentioned here, as well as another problem. When I am running Enscape with our HTC Vive wireless headset, I am unable to make any keyboard or mouse inputs without having it crash. This happens whether I am running an .exe or running live from Revit. With the tethered headset, I could do this without ever experiencing a crash.

This is important, because we often have clients that are unable or unwilling to teleport by themselves (I'm still amazed that pointing and pulling a trigger is beyond the capabilities of some people). I will need to either move them through the project with the WASD keys, or select saved views for them. I cannot do either with the wireless headset due to the crashes.

Any workarounds for this?

• Official Post

I am having the quality issues mentioned here, as well as another problem. When I am running Enscape with our HTC Vive wireless headset, I am unable to make any keyboard or mouse inputs without having it crash. This happens whether I am running an .exe or running live from Revit. With the tethered headset, I could do this without ever experiencing a crash.

This is important, because we often have clients that are unable or unwilling to teleport by themselves (I'm still amazed that pointing and pulling a trigger is beyond the capabilities of some people). I will need to either move them through the project with the WASD keys, or select saved views for them. I cannot do either with the wireless headset due to the crashes.

Any workarounds for this?

In the first instance it would be great if you could send in some feedback as described here - please also add your forum name in the submission form as well.

Also, please kindly make sure that your graphics card drivers are up to date. Download one of the latest drivers directly from the AMD site or in case you have an NVIDIA card, here.

Further, have you also tried the short guide in my reply above?

• Following. We are having the same issues. HTC VIVE Pro wireless kit was working well for us before version 2.5. We have ours rolled back to 2.4 with an older driver + draft quality now. It's OK. Considering re-wiring. I am trying to pinpoint when it started doing this....The last time I remember having a non-glitchy experience was mid-March with one of the version 2.4's. It's disappointing as the untethered experience is more comfortable otherwise.

• Official Post

Following. We are having the same issues. HTC VIVE Pro wireless kit was working well for us before version 2.5. We have ours rolled back to 2.4 with an older driver + draft quality now. It's OK. Considering re-wiring. I am trying to pinpoint when it started doing this....The last time I remember having a non-glitchy experience was mid-March with one of the version 2.4's. It's disappointing as the untethered experience is more comfortable otherwise.

Please kindly also follow the instructions in my reply above. :) Receiving some feedback would be helpful. Also, these issues may very well be caused with 2.5 since we now support 8k textures, before that they were down-scaled to to 2k. So there is more performance required now if the project has a lot of high-resolution textures implemented already. In the feedback report we'll see if that is the case here as well. In the meantime, you may want to reduce any textures greater than 2 - 4k to see if that helps. We're looking into solutions to communicate this more clearly and/or help resolve this without having to manually downscale larger textures. Thanks in advance!