SketchUp plugin to convert components to low poly version which works with Enscape.

• I created a small free SketchUp plugin to convert any component in your model to a low poly version which will be replaced by Enscape with the real component when rendering.

Installation:

1. Download the plugin from the SketchUp Extension Warehouse: AW Proxy for Enscape3d plugin

2. Goto the SketchUp Extension Manager and install extension.

3. Select the downloaded .rbz file

How to use:

1. right click on a component which you want to replace with a low poly version.

2. Select the command 'AW Create Proxy for Enscape3d'

3. all instances of this component will be replaced by the low poly version and the Original component is saved in the same location as the SketchUp model.

4. when using Enscape the low poly version will be replaced by Enscape for rendering

Remark:

- Edges should be turned on in the Style to see the proxy in SketchUp

- Only use on components with nested components which aren't uses in other places in the model. All entities inside these nested components will be cleared!

TIP:

Change the low poly component back to the original component can very easy be achieved by using the SketchUp function 'Reload'. This function can be found when you right click on the low poly model. Select the original component which is saved in the same location as the SketchUp model.

Kind regards,

Guy

• Hi GWD,

Here are screen shots from SU & Enscape of the test model.

The SU tree model is 82mb size. (Edit-I was able to send thru Dropbox.)

The SU model was created from a FBX file that I imported into SU using Simlab FBX Importer. The leaves were re-textured in SU because the leaf alpha didn't work when imported.

Test 1- SU Model with "Profiles" set at 2 & Edges "on". AW Ensscape output= line cube

The line cube will also appear if the "Profiles" are set at 0 & the "Edges" are "on"

Test 2- SU Model with "Profiles" set at 0 & "Edges" "off". AW Ensscape output= invisible

It seems like the key is to make sure the "Edges" are turned "on".

I re-installed plug-in & got same result.

Thank you

• Very strange. I used the model you have send me and everything seams to work correctly.... (edges should be on because the low poly proxy is made out of edges only)

What SketchUp version do you use? I tested this with SketchUp 2018.

• Hi GWD,

That looks great.

I am using SU2018. Version 18.0.16975 64bit

SU says there's no updates to this version.

I just tried on several different machines with multiple Lic. of this same version & I still get the lined cube.

Do you think it's a video card issue? All of the cards are gtx & gtx ti series.

Thank you

• This as nothing to do with the video card. Can you send me the SketchUp file with the component and the same file with the line cube for further investigation.

• can you still edit materials? within Su

To edit the materials you should open the original component which is saved in the same location as the model or replace the low poly back to the original like I described, change the material and switch back to low poly.

• dbaird , I received your files. Are you sure you use the correct command?

'Create Enscape Proxy' -> this is the command of my plugin which you need to use (result in low poly with edges)

'Save as an extertenal model for Enscape' -> standard Enscape proxy command (result in bounding box component)

• Played around with it a little. Great tool.

Could you make it so that it purges the original components from the model? Now I have to manually 'purge unused' components to lower the filesize of the proxy model which somehow takes a lot of time with larger models.

I updated the plugin so the nested components also be cleared, which fix your file size problem without the need to purge the model.

The link in the first post is to the updated version. Please remove the old plugin before installing the new one.

• I updated the plugin so the nested components also be cleared, which fix your file size problem without the need to purge the model.

The link in the first post is to the updated version. Please remove the old plugin before installing the new one.

Very nice. Thank you very much. Thanks to your tool my workflow for large models (consististing of multiple proxies) has become much shorter. Really appreciate your tool.

I do run into the following issue. The proxy models are properly aligned (with the same 0-point) however somehow the Enscape view shows them in different locations (also after updating Enscape). I am currently playing around with the axis origin of the components and the overall model but have not found a solution yet.