VR with Meta Quest 3. Some Questions.

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hello Forum,

we tested Enscape with Meta Quest 3 VR (Archicad 27 / SketchUp 2023. PC-Hardware: Nvidia RTX 4090, Intel Core i9-14900X) . It works fine, but we have some Questions:

- is it possible to change the field of view? In VR It always jumps back to 90°, no matter what we typed in before starting VR.

- is it possible to toggle the virtual Menu (left hand) off - instantly?

- is it possible to increase overall quality, even when used the setting "ultra" in Enscape and toggled Rendering-Resolution in Quest 3-Menü on maximum? I recently played the Game "Alyx" on Steam and I think the Quality in the Game looks better. In Enscape it seems like we need more antialiasing or a higher resolution.

Thanks in advance, Greetings Peter

BTW: @Admin: It´s still not possible to chose Archicad 27 in the Settings in this Forum.

• Official Post

Hi Peter Blickle , thanks for your post!

- is it possible to change the field of view? In VR It always jumps back to 90°, no matter what we typed in before starting VR.

It's generally not possible nor necessary to change the Field of View within VR manually as this is a preset value in order to provide the best output possible per individual headset. You'd very quickly run into distortion problems and so forth if the field of view could be adjusted externally. As per Meta themselves: "The field of view (FOV) of the Quest 3 is roughly the same as the Quest 2, approximately 100 degrees." Even if it jumps back to 90 degrees, this really isn't the true value used here in VR and you can basically ignore that as every headset uses its own internal fixed values.

- is it possible to toggle the virtual Menu (left hand) off - instantly?

No, that isn't possible but in that regard you can also just drop your arm to waist height in order to make the menu disappear out of your current view. That's at least what we usually recommended to users who struggled with having the menu floating around, it's often a matter of getting used to that specific motion.

- is it possible to increase overall quality, even when used the setting "ultra" in Enscape and toggled Rendering-Resolution in Quest 3-Menü on maximum? I recently played the Game "Alyx" on Steam and I think the Quality in the Game looks better. In Enscape it seems like we need more antialiasing.

In this regard a game like Half Life Alyx may look better in certain regards since the levels are prerendered (with only a fixed time of day), where as Enscape allows you to keep the lighting dynamic (including shadows) at all times, which can in turn lead to more visible noise and such while requiring more performance as well. As long as you've set the Rendering Quality to Ultra and turned up the rendering resolution of the Quest 3 itself there's not much more to pay attention to though. Of course we can only reccomend keeping any scene of yours well lit in case of noisy low-light areas, but at least some aliasing especially in VR will be hard to avoid.

Just in case the aliasing or the quality you're seeing seems to ever get "out of control", feel free to share a photo/video as well taken from within the headset as that would then allow us to also check whether or not that behavior you experience is to be expected based on the project.

I hope this helps a bit already. If there are any further questions let me know!

EDIT: ArchiCAD 27 has also been added as an option in the Forum! Thanks for the reminder.

• Demian, thanks a lot for your detailed answers!

1. It´s a pity. Sometimes we have narrow hallways or storerooms. Just yet I can hear a client say: "oh that´s very narrow" ;). (and when I render narrow spaces, I go for a higher field of view).

2. If a client wears the vr headset (who is not used to deal with that kind of device), it would be great, when I or he could toggle of that thing by button.

3. Yes you´re right, of course the overall look of that triple-A-Game looks better than my a little poor furnished rooms ^^ , but I meant: It seems that the resolution is higher in the game., and/or the antialiasing is better.

Thanks!