Outlines not showing for individual floors in massing models

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hello all - i am a Rhino3D user, but have also tested this in SketchUp. When creating massing models, it is typical to have outlines for the separate floors. In Rhino and SketchUp this is modeled by extruding the floors individually and it is a critical component when reviewing overall building heights for City review and discussion.

The "outline" feature does not outline these separated, extruded features even though they are separate entities. Moving the floors slightly up to give a bit of separation seems to work, but it is not a viable solution when overall height is important. It is also very very time consuming.

How does Enscape figure out the locations of the outlines and is is possible to allow for outlines around separate features, regardless of whether or not they are touching? My work around for this in the past has been to sync the views and take a 2D image from Rhino and overlay it on the Enscape Image in Photoshop. Again not an ideal work around so an option to allow for better defined outlines would be much appreciated and much more useful for the professional world where analysis AND rendering is important

• New
    • Official Post

Hello E.Oprescu and welcome to the forum! Our outlines algorithm detects an outline when there is some change in the depth between two surfaces or there is some significant difference in the normal vectors. In your case, since the models have smooth outside surfaces, the outlines algorithm can't pick up any of the differences I mentioned above.

Unfortunately I am not very familiar with massing models to propose a workaround that will be less time consuming than your current workaround. Maybe Demian Gutberlet or Kaj Burival have any ideas.

• New
    • Official Post

Thank you for the explanation. Would it be a lot to ask if we wanted the outlines to also pick up edges? Would be a nice feature to consider adding if possible

Thanks a lot for the suggestion as well, please feel free to also forward this as a dedicated feature request to product management directly as detailed here.

This way we can further track the demand for this and internally discuss whether or not this might be something we can implement in the future. Your input is much appreciated!