Grass effect issues

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hello - In my Sketchup 2018 model, if I rename the material for a patch of vegetation to "grass", the Enscape grass then shows up. However, I also get grass-like effects extruding out of corners of my structure (corners of the house model). The unwanted "grass" takes on the color of whatever it is attached to. Any suggestions of what I should adjust or look for?

• Official Post

Hey JSC , a screenshot of this behavior would indeed be very helpful. :) Thank you in advance!

• the "Grass" texture applies to both sides of a material: if your reverse side has a grass texture then it shows through. You can also select a texture to act like "grass" (or not) by simply selecting the type from the drop-down. I often have to check that there is no bottoms to house walls that accidentally have a grass texture and have to 'cut out' the footprint of a new extension from the garden grass that it's sitting on.

The edges of a grass texture also 'stick out' beyond the edge of the material - this can be ~70-120mm in all directions (except down); I normally have a ~150 border of gravel or bricks or mud between grass and walls.

You can use this 'feature' to cheat and get a gradual shortening by dropping the grass texture below another surface so that it the tips of the grass stick up through it... but it's a bit of work. (There is a feature request to use a 'bump mask' to determine the height of the grass)

• Official Post

EGIE , would you like me to file this as a feature request? :) Anything you wanna add to it? As Gadget mentioned, there is also a feature request on our agenda allowing you to define Grass height and area by texture, so if you wish, I can also add a further upvote to that topic. ;)

• Hi, for my workflow grass is not prio 1 by now ;) since so far I usually avoid making any environment.

Still, since Enscape has implemented this so cool feature and since many others use this for their work often, I give this topic a +1 also!
    [who knows if I don't need it in the future too ;) after all, I already play with it regularly] ;)

• Official Post

Thanks EGIE , I'll add your vote to it. ;)

• Can you add another vote to varying the grass height?

On close up views it looks good, however on aerial perspectives for example where the viewpoint is some way off, the grass texture isn't really visible and the SketchUp tiled grass becomes dominant.

• Kenny - I will add your vote to the story.

Just to go back to the grass height sliders though, if you add a plane in SketchUp and add a Grass material, the grass should adjust and in relation to the default FaceMe component the grass should show from being pretty short to at least some point above the ankle height of the FaceMe component.

Can you get this difference in height with the present Enscape version? If not, there is something wrong with the grass material you have applied.

Therefore it might be worth you revisiting this Knowledgebase article, and make sure to pay attention to the Naming Keywords in that article also.