Linked model preview

Please note: Should you experience issues with Enscape or your subscription, and in case of any urgent inquiries/questions (e.g. regarding our upcoming licensing changes) please reach out to our dedicated support team via the Help Center or Support button as detailed here.
    • New
    • Official Post

maarten_vis , welcome to our Forum.

This behavior is to be expected and this feature in particular is mainly used to also save on performance within SketchUp, since there are no explicit models (nor placeholders) being displayed in SketchUp's viewport itself.

So in case you wish to align your linked models / proxies please kindly use Enscape's live viewport for that instead while moving the linked models in SketchUp itself of course.

I hope that helps and explains it. Let me know in case of any further questions.

• If it's high quality asset you are wishing to use, another method would be to use something like Transmutr to create a proxy shape that better represents the object if placing it needs to be more precise or you would like a better shape vs the outline.

• I was hoping for something like the way the vrscene works when using it in sketchup. Or even a very simple outline. Now there is no reference point at all.

• I was hoping for something like the way the vrscene works when using it in sketchup. Or even a very simple outline. Now there is no reference point at all.

You're better off creating your own custom proxy file shape with a linked file for the time being. I don't think this is a feature anywhere on the Enscape's roadmap. Enscape Assets from the library have a proxy "shape" to them because they have done this work already. Same with Vray Cosmos I assume.

If you set your axis of the linked model to the bottom middle, placement should be fairly simple. Maybe that's why you're having trouble with placement? The bounding box is relative to the component size - albeit not nearly as useful as a low poly shape.

https://help.transmutr.com/manual/geometry-tab/proxies

• My method:

• Start with the full geometry object and draw the simplest representation of it you can over it, make it as tight to the extent of the full object as possible.
    • Select your new simple model and cut it (ctrl X)
    • Do the enscape proxy thing with the full geometry which will result in you seeing the edge-only extents proxy component we usually get.
    • Double-click on that component and paste IN PLACE your simple model
    • Delete the 12 edges of the original proxy
    • Exit the revised proxy component
    • Select it and save it as a separate sketchup model to use in other projects.

Done