Will this PC do well with Enscape? - Hardware recommendation

Please note: Should you experience issues with Enscape or your subscription, and in case of any urgent inquiries/questions (e.g. regarding our upcoming licensing changes) please reach out to our dedicated support team via the Help Center or Support button as detailed here.
  • I work at a small architecture studio and we all use Macs. From everything that I’m reading, Macs are not great for Enscape. (Is this true, by the way?) So we are considering to get a dedicated PC for Enscape. Our budget is approximately €3000 and we are located in the Netherlands. My question to all of you is: would this be a good PC for realtime rendering using Enscape? We do most of our 3D modeling in Sketchup.

The PC:

CPUAMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor / AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor / or AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 4.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
    CPU cooler
    Deepcool AK620 ZERO DARK 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler
    MotherboardAsus TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard
    RAMG.Skill Flare X5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory
    StorageLexar NM790 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
    Video card (GPU)
    PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card
    CaseFractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case
    Power supply
    Cooler Master GX III GOLD 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
    OSMicrosoft Windows 11 Pro Retail - Download 64-bit

Thanks!

• Official Post

Hi flobin , welcome to our Forum and thanks a lot for your inquiry.

Right away, just a while back we did not officially support Enscape for Mac and even afterward there were still some features missing before achieving parity, which thus at this point though means it depends on your use case, preference and general existing environment as well.

In your case though this specific PC you detailed would be an excellent choice for Enscape running under Windows and you would actually get an advantage over Enscape for Mac since you can utilize ray-tracing, which in most scenarios improves quality of the rendering (especially when it comes to sun shadows, colored shadows, indirect lighting and reflections). That does not mean that Enscape for Mac is not a valid choice too, but there are some differences to be aware of.

On top of that even if you were to try using VR later on that would be a valid possibility too as the RTX 4080 SUPER is of course a rather powerful card which meets our VR requirements and then some.

Just so you know you can always acquire our latest release of either Enscape for Mac or Windows here.

If any further questions or anything else may come up please simply let me know anytime, I am happy to help.

• If you go the PC route then there are a couple of things to change on that spec:

• The power supply seems small to me, the RTX40xx cards are power-hungry. I wouldn't go below 850w and ideally would go for 1000w to be sure.
    • You don't need Windows 11 Pro, it only has benefits over the Home version in a corporate Windows Server environment where a Network Admin needs to control all aspects (security/privileges/access etc)
    • I'd get 2 SSD's, one for the OS and apps and one for YOUR files ... I like to keep things separate so that If something goes wrong and I need to reinstall an app or even the OS I know my files are as far away as possible from an accidental deletion. Get a 1TB for OS and apps (C Drive) and a 2TB or 4TB for your files (D Drive)
    • I'd go for the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D simply because the performance difference to the Ryzen 9 doesn't match the large price difference.
  • I am planning to buy my girlfriend a new laptop for her birthday to replace her relatively old computer (a ~4 years old Lenovo Legion Y540 15").

Now that Sketchup, Enscape, AutoCad are all Apple silicon compatible, I was thinking of getting her a 16" Macbook Pro.

I’m just unsure whether I should get it with a M2 Pro or Max CPU and with 32GB or 64GB RAM.

She usually has Sketchup, AutoCad and Enscape running at the same time along with the web browser, and a photo viewing/editing app.

In the future, she will probably also work with Revit (that so far does not support Macos, so it will need to run under virtualization using Parallel Desktop).

With these apps usage in mind, do you think she will get any added value by getting the M2 Max CPU over the Pro, and will 64GB RAM give her any benefits over the 32GB RAM variant?

I’m hoping other users in the forum have similar work loads and can comment based on their current experience.

• If she’s familiar with SU on Windows then the Mac version ‘may’ not suit, personally I can’t stand it … before anyone gets their pitchforks out you should know I’ve owned 2 iMac’s and 3 MBP with an M2 Mini on the horizon so my dislike of SU on the Mac has nothing to do with the platform.

Windows in a VM (parallels etc) only emulates a very basic video card so Revit may struggle.