Frosted Glass Material strange behavior

• Hi,

I have got a strange behavior of the simple Frosted Glass Material in Rhino. There are three identical simple geometries (i created one and then copied it), to which I gave the same Frosted Glass Material. When these geometries are under direct sunlight, they look almost the same (which is also strange), but when I have a ceiling, thay start to look very differently. See the attached images.

I am using:

Rhino Version 6 SR11 (6.11.18344.20091, 10.12.2018)

Enscape Version: 2.4.1

Best,

Andrii

• Hey Andrii Mogylnyi , thanks a lot for your submission, I'm sorry to hear about this behavior. I've tried to reproduce this problem myself, but I'm yet unable to achieve the same result I'm afraid. In this case, would you please kindly send me the project file at hand? Thank you in advance!

• Hey Andrii Mogylnyi ,

thank you for sharing the example! We've been able to reproduce the behavior - this is actually regular Enscape behavior, it's just usually not this obvious.

For semi-transparent surfaces, Enscape assumes a single shadow condition (for indirect lighting) for the whole surface. This ensures a proper performance.

Because of that, the differences of how much the object lies in the shade are as apparent as in your case - by moving the object further into the room, they're being illuminated more by indirect light than by direct sunlight.

The material and surfaces, however, behave identically. You can also check this by rotating the objects - the dark part will stay on the same side globally - or exchanging them. It's all about how much direct / indirect light they receive.

As always, this is a behavior we're busy optimizing further.