VR Keyboard Support: Question from Logitech

• Hi,

I work in AR/VR team at Logitech. We've released a few devkits to partners for keyboards that can be used in VR.

For example, see here https://github.com/Logitech/labs_mrkeyboard_sdk

We've received some requests/queries from Enscape users about keyboard use with Revit/Enscape.

Two questions:

1. Any other Enscape users interested in such a capability?

2. If anyone from Enscape is interested to have discussion with Logitech on the topic just ping me. We still have a few devkits available.

Best regards,

Aidan Kehoe PhD

Principal UX Designer

my email is akehoe at logitech dot com

• Hey AKehoe , thanks a lot for contacting us here at Enscape via our forum! :)

This is currently something which is not directly of use to us, but this may very well change in the future. Should that be the case, be assured that we'll happily get back to you! Thank you for your understanding.

Please also let me know in case there is anything else I can assist you with!

• Demian,

This is a wishlist item which I had been floating past your team and Mr. Schander a year or so ago. At the time, Bigscreen VR had support for Leap Motion and the question was could a VR Keyboard be implemented using Leap or similar. The consensus was no. The only option was something like Logitech Bridge.

To recap the conversation, Enscape is the only VR renderer which updates live and where realtime feedback and manipulation of the model is possible. As an architect I can tell you that what I really want to do is live in it. I want to be able to work on the model from the inside. The flow you get while immersed is unreal. You walk around inside the project and constantly want to fix things. But right now you can't touch it. It's immensely frustrating. I have gotten the same impression from other architects. We all want to be able to fix stuff and do stuff inside Enscape without taking the headset off. Just like these guys can with this robot.

Note the software interface floating next to the user allowing them to user their regular tool palette in VR. Substitute Revit on the Windows Desktop for that, then make the robot 60 meters tall and get inside it and you have what I want.

All the parts for what I am talking about are there now whereas none of them were a year ago. The Samsung Odyssey has high enough resolution to be able to read the screen on a virtual desktop. I have used Revit while inside Windows Home as well as inside Bigscreen. It works fine.

Enscape now supports Windows MR through Steam so I can use the Oddysey and that works great too !

The only obstacle was not being able to see the keyboard and it appears that Logitech has solved that now.

I am asking you guys to put these things together. A floating Virtual Desktop window in Enscape that I can open to see Revit, and the floating virtual keyboard which will allow me to use it while inside. I swear that there is a large segment of your users who will never turn Enscape off again after that. Starting with me.

All the best !

Jean-Frederic Monod

Sarasota, FL

• As a followup to clarify that video Demian. Of course I am not talking about direct manipulation of the model through the Enscape interface. (we'll talk about that later : ) All user interaction would still be in Revit through the floating Revit window..... although if a user could select an object in Revit through clicking on it in Enscape that would be awesome. Things that are hosted to the wrong workplane for example. That might not be apparent on a the 2D drawings. But if you see a sink hosted to the floor while walking around you just point at it and click, then open the Desktop view from your controller and immediately rehost it to the right place in the Revit window while never leaving immersion. Can you even imagine what a productivity boost that would be ? You would hardly need markups or redlines at that point. You could just do QA/QC directly on the live model.