Viewing EXE's, alternatives?

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Not sure if this is the right place to post, sorry if it is.

I'm new to VR and all this stuff and have been playing around with a HTC vive pro and enscape for a while now. All nice. But it's not very portable.

Is it possible to use a VR setup that works without basestations and that runs on basic hardware? Are there any alternatives? Like game consoles?

With the Oculus Go you are limited to viewing pano's?

ty!

• Official Post

Hey xxl , thanks a lot for your inquiry. :)

Portable VR solutions are currently limited in a way, that they are mostly equivalent to smartphones when it comes to performance. The Oculus Go for example uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon 821, a chip which is built into a lot of modern day devices (phones, tablets, etc.). But, this kind of performance is currently simply not enough to render Enscape in real-time, at about 60 fps, for two eyes with a resolution that would be acceptable.

Further, the Oculus Go is generally currently not supported by Enscape when it comes to our Web Standalones, so you'll only be able to view panoramas right now. This may very well change in the future and support for it is already filed as a dedicated feature request on our agenda. I'll happily add your voice in form of a further upvote to it. :)

I cannot give you any information whether or not the full Enscape experience (in form of .exe Standalones for example) will find its way into mobile headsets any time soon. The required hardware would have to be equivalent to desktop hardware, there is a reason the HTC Vive, Oculus Rift and Mixed Reality headsets are connected to these full sized machines.

Despite all that, the future is looking very bright when it comes to the mobile VR experience. Take the Oculus Quest for example which will let you play Oculus Rift games which have been heavily optimized so they'll run smoothly and still look good. It's not hard to imagine that we'll be able to offer the Enscape experience in form of Web Standalone support when you're on to go in the not so distant future. Again, I cannot make any promises yet and these are still predictions.

Finally, even though this may not be what you're looking for exactly, maybe this is also of interest as well since it offers you a semi-portable solution, and these backpack PC's are fully capable of rendering our full Enscape experience.

I hope that my answer has been helpful. Let me know in case there is anything else you want to discuss. :)

• Official Post

xxl , thanks for your further question! The ability to assign materials from inside VR, via controller, has been requested before so it's filed as a feature request on our agenda. I've gladly added your voice in form of another upvote to the topic! :)

Let me know in case there is anything else I can assist you with.