RTX?

• Hi :-)

I just saw Your teaser on facebook, regarding nVidia's GTC presentation, and also a picture from enscape with an awesome "RTX on" title at the bottom ;-) That made me very happy. Thumbs up for trying to implement this so soon!

Can you share some more info on this? what is the timeline for us to try it out? i'm sure we are many curious users here ;-)

Best regards

• There's going to be a RTX preview available soon after the 2.5 release, more details will follow then :)

• Hey Sean!

I get what you're saying, but as architects, making the space look 'bright' is even more important than correct GI. I know you could say 'you should place fill lights' but we don't have time for that. We want to spend our time designing, not lighting up a space as a photographer would do.

So I guess what I'm asking: will we have easy tools available to us to make sure spaces still look bright with the new GI behavior? One could use exposure but we risk burning out the highlights around the windows. Perhaps the new tonemapping controls can play a role here?

Edit: I added a screenshot to illustrate my concern

• Perhaps another solution can be to add increased support for area lights. We don't have time to add dozens of lights and balance them out, but a big area light to add extra brightness can be added quickly. The problem with them now is that shadows with area lights don't look right (especially if the area light is big).

• (Proud that I'm not an architect! )

Not sure what you mean. It's not our intention to misguide a client. We know based on years of experience whether a space is going to be bright enough, we don't need a render to tell us that.

And we don't want to waste time (and our clients money) with 'realistically' lighting a scene, putting in all the right light fixtures with the correct settings in early design development. We want the focus to be on the things that matter (shape of the space, general feeling, ...) and not distract a client by a space looking too dark while we know in reality it's going to be fine.

Not sure what's so bad about that.

• The assumption that "GI makes the scene darker" is simply wrong. The opposite is quite true as it adds more of the correct light transport. I can't tell for sure why the RTX screenshot is darker, but keep in mind it's a techdemo. If it would be finished, we would release it.

• Pieter I understand your need. From time to time I need to visualize large interior space like large shops or exhibition spaces. I was happy as I found that if I set the quality slider below Ultra that I got light from the environment to the space. So, I used an interior HDRI and I got a good basic light mood without any light was set. Only I needed to add some lights where I like to get some extra attention.

Thomas Willberger I'm glad to see the RTX running at our side and I'm very curious to test it. Maybe the team could consider to add a kind of ambient light feature like I described above as a regular feature. Maybe like known from AO the user can define a radius and if a space distance is above this distance than the environment is sampled. I really useful to get a basic lighting to large spaces without to fiddle around with lights/shadows/speculars everywhere. I suppose my workaround is still working, but it could be great to know it's proof for the future too.

(Vray supports a feature like this and I think, it's a nice feature for architects. I never used this feature, since it was not implement at Rhino.)

• Looks like Unreal just officially released 4.22 with RTX support: https://www.unrealengine.com/e…real-engine-4-22-released

It includes a number of raytracing features such as soft shadows, reflections, ambient occlusion, refraction, and global illumination. There's also an interesting inclusion of a full path tracer, that they say can be used to test ones lighting against ground truth images. Makes me wonder whether Enscape might be able to have a similar option to be able to crank up the number of indirect bounces when rendering out still images and videos, for a little added realism (though only if it was going to take a few more seconds, not minutes, since that would be antithetical to the whole real time render thing).

Either way, I'm really looking forward to trying out the new experimental RTX features now that 2.5 is out! I'm also curious whether any of the performance enhancements will carry over into VR.