Washed out image when looking towards ground

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • I've noticed this for awhile now, but on exterior scenes when you look towards the ground sometimes, the image gets washed out/overbright. Could this be a glitch related to the VR controls at all? (I know the screen used to white out when you looked down at the hand controllers). It's hard to tell what the problem is, but it seems to be an issue with the auto exposure not working correctly.

• Official Post

That's auto-exposure at work - while there's sky in view exposure is fairly low, which results in a darker image. Looking down directly reduces the amount of very bright image areas and exposure is therefore increased. There're two ways to counter this behaviour if the result is non optimal as in the case above:
    Either reduce the exposure brightness by a few percent or enable auto-contrast, which should result in a more evenly distributed image brightness histogram.

• Hmm, I wonder if the auto exposure has been optimized for interiors, where it's obviously very important to adjust to dim spaces, but in the case of darker surfaces on the exterior, it's overexposing things by trying to maintain an overall level of brightness. I did another test thinking it might be the result of reflection coming from the ground plane texture, but the same result happens even with no geometry at all. Believe it or not, the second image below is of the 'black' ground plane looking straight down - perhaps there's some reflection happening here as well though given all the blueness?

In any case, the image is clearly washed out, and shouldn't look this way with proper exposure. I've noticed that some point and shoot cameras do this under certain conditions, whereas the iphone's auto exposure works great pretty much all the time, and is able to maintain much larger contrast levels (closer to what the human eye is capable of, which still far surpasses any camera out there).

• Official Post

Auto-exposure solely relies on the visible brightness levels on your image - so there's no distinction between exterior and interior. It is designed to provide well balanced image brightness - which works in most conditions. However if looking at unusually dark surfaces it might overexpose a bit. Are you certain that your exposure brightness setting is at the default setting (50%)?

Auto-contrast is able to pronounce contrasts a bit further as it tweaks images to use the whole brightness range (often smartphone cameras also have similar post-effects enabled by default).