Glass objects have no shadow??

• Testing Enscape 2.5.2

I noticed that glass objects don't have a shadow. Has this always been the case?

That has indeed always been the case - glass shadows are not yet supported. Support for this has been requested before so it's definitely already on our agenda. :) I've added your upvote to the topic of course!

• That has indeed always been the case - glass shadows are not yet supported. Support for this has been requested before so it's definitely already on our agenda. :) I've added your upvote to the topic of course!

Just thinking aloud. You know the geometry. Why not just use that to cast a normal shadow and then give the shadow some transparancy based on the transparancy percentage?

I understand that this would be a rough estimation. However it would look more realistic. Now it looks like the objects are floating above the surface

• Just thinking aloud. You know the geometry. Why not just use that to cast a normal shadow and then give the shadow some transparancy based on the transparancy percentage?

I understand that this would be a rough estimation. However it would look more realistic. Now it looks like the objects are floating above the surface

This would be a good way from a common-sense perspective, but given the way real time graphics and shadow mapping work, this is not feasible without significant performance cost. We may add it however for screenshot and video exports.

• ... in my opinion and kind of usage, the performance speed is a lower asset than the render quality - so the decision must always be up to the user him/herself to decide for a good and usable result or the inferior VR quality. So any "full-featured render" button could be an offer in the render settings maybe?

• A double use philosophie for still and VR would be very appreciated by a lot of users. Most users need both - great stills for a printed presentation and the VR for the direct experience. Good luck.

i would also like to see something like this implemented...escapes true power for me is how quickly and efficiently I can itterate with lighting etc...but I would happily take the hit on render times for some higher quality render/shadows/reflections