Resolution downgrade after in VR for some time.

• We were demonstrating some VR is a pretty simple 3D model and noticed that the resolution witin the scene downgraded noticeably as time went on. We were using the Occulus Rift on a new laptop with updated drivers for the RTX2080, 16 gigs of ram and an overclocked 9th generation I7 processor all running on an M type SSD hardrive. I have not experienced this when running Unreal, even with some very heavy scenes. I love Enscape but that loss of resolution is a concern.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Have you checked/logged your temperatures with sth like openhardwaremonitor? Laptop plus overclocked i7 screams for some serious thermal throttling.

Hello Matthias,

Thank you for the reply. It is an interesting thought. The only thing I will tell you is I do not have the downgrade in resolution issue when I run my custom high ploy scenes in Unreal Engine. Granted, the Enscape is not trying to be Unreal so I expect there to be some differences (good and bad) in some things but the loss of resolution is not desirable. It gets to the point where begin to see significant blotchiness on the surfaces. I can throttle back the overclocked processor but I thought real time rendering was mostly stressing the GPU which in this case, is designed to be used int his scenario.

I don;t think I mentioned this but we are using the latest test version of Enscape. I tend to use these releases since I have not really experineced any real issues with them while I get to play around and experience the latest goodies.

• Hello arcitek

I don;t think I mentioned this but we are using the latest test version of Enscape. I tend to use these releases since I have not really experineced any real issues with them while I get to play around and experience the latest goodies.

I think the best way you can go now is to try the latest stable release 2.5 to see if it works more stable. Preview versions are work in progress, especially now with RTX.

You are also welcome to send feedback (followlink my post signature) including logs, so we could check if Enscape is responsible for reduced resolution - we do it when FPS drops low. It will help us to tweak performance before the next release ;)

Please also mention your forum name so we could map the feedback to this thread.

• Hello arcitek

I think the best way you can go now is to try the latest stable release 2.5 to see if it works more stable. Preview versions are work in progress, especially now with RTX.

Thank you Alexander. I will definitely provide feedback. The only issue with 2.5 is that I do not think it had support for the RTX. I thought that support was added in the subsequent Previews if I am not mistaken.

Also, has anyone ever seen any reduction in temps by using a laptop cooler pad? I have always been sort of skeptical of these.

• Cooling pads with additional fans can provide some support compared to the laptop sitting on a surface that restricts airflow but they might not be your magic bullet. Try logging your temperatures to see if you can confirm those temperature problems. If so then dial back the overclock on your cpu or even try disabling Intel TurboBoost to shave off some of that thermal load. Having your CPU run at a lower clock speed (and with it thermal load) in the first place makes more sense than letting it boost itself into thermal oblivion.

• Try logging your temperatures to see if you can confirm those temperature problems. If so then dial back the overclock on your cpu or even try disabling Intel TurboBoost to shave off some of that thermal load.

Mathias, greatly appreciate your insight and suggestions. So I installed Core Temp on the computer and ran the Enscape VR on my scene. Temps never hit above 73 which was shocking. I find it hard to believe they would be thermal throttling at that temp. I did dial back the CPU speed. So, I tried pulling out the auxiliary large monitor form the mini display port thinking maybe there was a conflict between running the VR and the auxiliary screen at the same time but no difference. No change.

The bad resolution now happens immediately as soon as the VR starts. The best description is that I am looking at a scene where there is massive heat coming off of the floor surface and distorting everything. Previous to this things seemed to run fine but now it is very noticeable. I even dialed back the resolution in Enscape to no avail.

My next step is to try the "stable" version to see if there is a difference. Disappointing since We spent some money on this new laptop setup. However, I am realizing the RTX tech is pretty (is it?) so I am thinking some need to catch up so to speak.

I also want to try this in Revit to see if the same thing is occurring there. We were hoping to buy the Vive Pro because of the resolution but we are now waiting on the new headset from Vive due later this year.