Floor Calibration with Oculus Rift S

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • I am having issues with my floor calibration using the Oculus Rift S. As I teleport through the space, the default height places me 1-2 inches above the true ground level. I have reset the floor level in the Rift Guardian Setup, but this has not helped the issue. I do not appear to have the same issue with other Rift applications. Image attached here shows a screenshot with the Rift controller placed on the true floor - you can see that in the virtual world it is floating. I am running 2.5.3, and I am having this issue in both Revit and Sketchup.

• Official Post

dfersh , this has been reported before - we'll investigate further regarding what may be causing this. Be assured that I'll get back to you again as soon as possible with some news. :)

• I think the issue is with the new Oculus Insight tracking system itself, we had the same problem when trying to use the headset under a pop-up outside, the ambient sunlight wrecked the tracking system and messed with the floor height and controller tracking. If the issue arises in a room with open blinds or curtains, close them and see if resolves the issue. Basically what happens is that the sunlight overexposes the cameras in charge of the tracking and the system looses its reference points.

It is strange though that you mention that it is a specific problem while in the Enscape application.

• Official Post

Lucas Cunningham , we have examined this accordingly and the controllers could indeed be placed approximately 5 cm inaccurately height wise. But, we do not make any changes here what so ever and rely on the data Oculus provides us.

So summed up, this behavior should not be Enscape exclusive. Maybe someone here who experiences this problem in Enscape is also experiencing the same with a different application? This issue should generally not be persisting in Enscape only.

• Demian Gutberlet  Lucas Cunningham I have experienced this issue in both sun filled and windowless rooms. It is good to know that the sun could be part of the problem.

Any ideas on a workaround for the 2 inch difference in height? We recently had a presentation and I lowered the user manually until the height read correctly, but this setup is lost as soon as teleport is used.

• dfersh I'm no to sure what the best way to do precise height *calibration is.

Maybe try setting the touch controllers on the ground and walking around a bit during the floor position setup portion of the Guardian setup. This should theoretically give the tracking system more points of reference for where the floor is.

The Oculus Insight tracking system is a SLAM (Simultaneous Location And Mapping) system that relies on finding unique edges for tracking so rooms that a very basic with just plain colors also aren't the best for it. Read more on that near the bottom of this article: https://uploadvr.com/how-vr-tracking-works/

One thing I haven't done but would like to try would be to make some stickers with distinct patterns on them to act as markers to assist the tracking system if it is having difficulties.

The new tracking system is far easier to setup, but we have run into a little more precision issues when it is up and running unfortunately.

EDIT: Changed "calculation" to "calibration"

• The new tracking system is far easier to setup, but we have run into a little more precision issues when it is up and running unfortunately.

I think it also heavily depends on the tracking cameras resolution. Try to precise track vertical position based on an horizontal edge of a table two meters away from you with the camera resolution you see when calibrating device - no wonder there is some imprecision. I also think it was not the main purpose of device to have 1mm precise tracking. It is enough to have stable tracking with some small differences between sessions for 99,9% of use cases.

though it seems like the sort of thing that should be provided with Oculus's SDK as a developer tool

Fun fact is that the new controllers were not provided by the SDK for a long time after device release - one always has got old models. New models will be in the next preview.

• I also think it was not the main purpose of device to have 1mm precise tracking. It is enough to have stable tracking with some small differences between sessions for 99,9% of use cases.

Thanks to all for the feedback - very helpful. Understood that is not going to be perfect, but the height difference is definitely noticeable to even novice users. I have placed several people into the Enscape environment with the Rift S and heard the comment "I feel tall". It is what makes VR so great for designers - you can intuitively feel the difference. It is still useful, but makes the user less trusting of the experience. I don't know the magic number for precision - it doesn't need to be 1mm, but perhaps 10 mm? It is not a problem I have perceived with our Vive setup.

• Diagnosing problem areas continued

Oculus/Facebook just released a really in depth article on how they developed the Insight system and how it works. You can find that here, if you have some reading time https://ai.facebook.com/blog/powered-by-ai-oculus-insight/

But knowing that the system relies on SLAM (Simultaneous Localization And Mapping) I think I have found a way to diagnose problem areas for the tracking system, we can download SLAM based applications for our smartphones that can allow us to see what areas will register.

Android link: https://play.google.com/store/…t.visualslamtool&hl=en_US

Apple link: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/tape-measure/id1271546805?ls=1

It is worth noting that these systems use different sensors and SLAM engines, however the underlying concepts are the same.

These apps will place points at areas with high contrast that SLAM systems will be able to detect, if you notice that there aren't very many points then that would be area for concern because the insight tracking system wont be able to create references.

^poor tracking (few reference points)

^good tracking (many reference points)