Enscape in combination with a 3D scanned building (video)

• annevanzwol

Changed the title of the thread from “Enscape in combination with a 3D scanned building” to “Enscape in combination with a 3D scanned building (video)”.
  • That is very interesting. If it weren't for the horizon on the rendering you've shared, you'd think it's simply a photo. :D

Agreed. It amazes me how texturing and lighting will turn rather 'simple' geometry into something looking so photorealistic. The jagged edges give away that this is actually a 3D scan. The cost/quality ratio however is very good. Some examples below contrasting the complete picture to the underlying geometry.

• How do you get the scans into enscape?

It seems that you can add elements, but can you also modify the existing building? Like cutting holes? Is this done in Sketchup?

My workflow is as follows:

My scan result is available as an OBJ mesh file and XYZ pointcloud. I prefer working with the OBJ as it is (i) easier to manipulate and (ii) Enscape will not display pointclouds.

I open the OBJ file in Blender (freeware) and use the Boolean modifier to cut out geometry and/or clean up the mesh. You can actually modify the mesh in Sketchup or Meshlab but Blender 2.8 in my experience works much faster and smoother (using the EEVEE realtime rendering which is the default) then export again as OBJ.

Depending on the filesize I either import the OBJ directly into Sketchup or use Transmutr to make an Enscape proxy model. Big mesh files directly into Sketchup can make Sketchup sluggish. You can choose to make a simplified faces skipped proxy model which makes placement in Sketchup easy. If need be you can also use Transmutr to reduce the number of polygons.

• Thanks a lot for the workflow info. I havent seen transmutr before, but will look more into it. Is this sketchup only?

I am mainly looking for a way to put the mesh (with colors) into Revit, but it seems this is not trivial to achieve.

• I wonder how the textures look in such a file. Is everything unique there?

TBH you don't want to mess with a 3D scanned mesh in Sketchup (pun intented) because it looks like a broken egg. For texture painting use Blender instead. For providing a lifelike context to your model these scans are great. If you are looking for a clean model then draw it using basic shapes.

• It seems that you can add elements, but can you also modify the existing building? Like cutting holes?

Is this done in Sketchup?

Look very nice!

can anyone suggest me this specification is suitable for using Enscape and revit

kindly suggest me please.

Intel Core i7 - 9700K 9th Generation Processor

ASUS PRIME-H370-PLUS Motherboard

16GB DDR4 CORSAIR RAM

120GB SSD WD

2TB SATA HDD WD

DVD RW LG

27” LG IPS MONITOR

Logitech Keyboard & Mouse

Zotac GTX 1050Ti 4GB Graphics

Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 400W SMPS

• Welcome to our forum! :)

It's a fine setup indeed, you'll have no issues running Enscape. In the future though, if you plan to use Enscape with complex / larger projects, I'd consider upgrading the graphics card. Let me know in case you require any recommendations, any time you like.

• Hi...

Thank you very much for your reply , can you tell me what you prefer to use Enscape with complex / larger projects requirement, graphics card configuration required high ?? in future shall i upgrade graphics card only or need to change my pc...

• Hi...

Thank you very much for your reply , can you tell me what you prefer to use Enscape with complex / larger projects requirement, graphics card configuration required high ?? in future shall i upgrade graphics card only or need to change my pc...

Depending on your budget, it goes as follows, ranking from least performance (comparatively speaking) to highest performance:

NVIDIA GTX 1070, 1070 Ti, 1080, 1080 Ti or RTX 2060, 2070, 2080 and the 2080 Ti. :)

Any of these above are also recommended if you plan to use Enscape VR in the future.