Display Time of Day in Video

Please note: Should you experience issues with Enscape or your subscription, and in case of any urgent inquiries/questions (e.g. regarding our upcoming licensing changes) please reach out to our dedicated support team via the Help Center or Support button as detailed here.
  • Adding the time of day can be done in post. This is a much better solution because you control the font, text size, whether or not the text is persistent or disappears/reappears as needed.

However, I would like to have the option of having the time of day appear persistently during live walk-throughs rather than appear and disappear.

• Hey guys this topic is from 2017 and with version 4.0 in 2024 - no change. But we had at least 4x icon set changes(which no one needed) and overall interface redesign :D

If enscape have invested the time they put to the icon design to adding this little feature, they would have hadmore satisfied users and also some time left to add another features that users are literally begging from 2017

Don't make beggars of us guys 😢

• Ondrej42 Watch, not one official Enscape account will respond. They have been neutered by Chaos.

If you'll scroll back in the thread you'll see responses from the Enscape team. No neutering required. It's not a priority or a conspiracy.

• Phil Read This thread was started back in 2017 pre-Chaos acquisition. Back then Enscape was more responsive to user feedback on this forum, so of course back then they would respond to comments, hence the responses from official Enscape accounts up until early 2022. Since the Chaos acquisition, responses from those accounts never addresses the points being brought up.

There is a history of this listed below:

Over the last two years, unless the thread is about a license issue, or a bug the most response from a official account you will get is go to the voting portal. Not a single official Enscape account will respond once users become critical of the program.

The neutering already happened when Chaos bought Enscape and there never was a priority or a conspiracy because Encsape hasn't been prioritizing its user-base on the forum.

• First, this thread is getting off topic, but I'll answer anyway as someone involved with the Enscape team since mid-2015.

1. There was not a Chaos acquisition. Enscape and Chaos Group were both acquired and a new company was formed called Chaos, retaining the CEO of Enscape as the CEO of the new company.

2. Users are asking for features that Enscape may not be designed do do:

- Animated Assets

- Light Beam Effects

These kinds of features are not possible in Enscape and will require another specialized application (similar to Lumion, Twin Motion, D5, etc.). If these kinds of features are important use the best tool for the job. One tool may not do everything required.

3. You can simulate fire images and animated textures. Volumetric fire / effects will require another specialized application (see above).

4. There's no point rushing support for Rhino 8 because it breaks other things.

I understand that users (myself included) are impatient. However, imagining new features is easy without enough context. For example, users asking for the time of day to be displayed on videos. Seems straightforward. Now spec this feature:

• Where should the time of day display?
    • What should the font be? What size?
    • Should time of day be persistent or fade in / out during the animation?
    • 24hr clock or am, pm?
    • Should the time of day allow for transparency?

Now imagine these features with a myriad of options to allow for user requirements? What appears to be a simple feature request may be very complicated in execution. And in the process Enscape becomes more complicated. In the meantime, users can add this information in post production that meet very specific project requirements. Personally, I would not put this kind of feature very high on a priority list if there were more important user feature requests.

The Enscape team is working very hard and unfortunately has to prioritize features and other development requirements (like feature parity for OSX) based on time, money, available resources and more - like any other business. I'm not trying to make excuses. I'm trying to give context.

• Thank you, can you explain technically why thease animated effects are not possible in enscape but possible in the other softwares?

To the time of the day issue:

Thease things are not unsolvable. The easiest answer would be - display the same time of the day information as in interactive renderer window. But your questions are not out of place, there could be few sliders and checkboxes in the video editor for size transparency or font.

Also when designing new set of icons few questions arise.

How they should look like, what colous will be used, are they recognisable? And most importantly why do we need them. Just because we do 4.0?

I think we have very good reason to add time of the day option to the video (it is useful information for the client, where the shadows/sunlight will be in his new house)

For me, whole point of enscape is to bring design closer to the client. That is why I was complaining about the icons. I don't understand the priorities here.

• I agree that the UI in 4.0 is a step backwards. IMO icons are too small, defining lines too thin and lack sufficient contrast (light orange on a grey background doesn't help).. But these things are subjective and I try not to care too much about what I can't control.

Regarding animated assets. My understanding is that core technical decisions were made early in the development of Enscape that emphasized lighting, materials and speed without the need for manually exporting. When you make changes in the design application it automatically updates with in Enscape. This trifecta of speed, quality and ease of use is a real advantage for using Enscape.

For Enscape to render moving geometry, key components of Enscape's code base would have to be re-written to accommodate new workflow features. But the result would be breaking other workflow features (like fast live updates) that presently work very well.

Rather than redesign Enscape to animate moving people, cars, etc., It would be more beneficial to to create a new purpose built tool (like a simplified version of Chaos Vantage - https://www.chaos.com/vantage) for AEC.

• 2. Users are asking for features that Enscape may not be designed do do:

- Animated Assets

- Light Beam Effects

These kinds of features are not possible in Enscape and will require another specialized application (similar to Lumion, Twin Motion, D5, etc.). If these kinds of features are important use the best tool for the job. One tool may not do everything required.

Regarding animated assets. My understanding is that core technical decisions were made early in the development of Enscape that emphasized lighting, materials and speed without the need for manually exporting. When you make changes in the design application it automatically updates with in Enscape. This trifecta of speed, quality and ease of use is a real advantage for using Enscape.

Perhaps a forum admin could put these points in bold, as a sticky somewhere.

Longtime users know how groundbreaking Enscape was when it was released, and still nothing matches it for ease of use. Any designer from any application can produce a rendering with virtually no effort. It is essentially a by-product of the work they are already doing in Revit, Rhino or Sketchup. Other solutions that link a model to a standalone app require learning yet another piece of software. (And for whatever reason, all those apps seem to have pulled their interface from some other planet, rather than using any standard practices for decent interface design.) Sure there are things you need to "learn" in Enscape to make renderings look better, but getting a basic, decent image out of it is trivial.

For new users, if these are the features they were looking for, I'm not sure why they chose Enscape. It isn't going to fill 100% of your rendering needs. It is for filling 90% of your rendering needs with much less effort.

• Yes I agree, if there are limitations which would slow down enscape. But there are so many requests which are so simple such as this "time of the day" feature, or composition grid, outline settings per material, etc. Which have nothing to do with animation or volumetric lighting. They are just simple features which would make enscape easier (rule of thirds / comostition grid) to use and would help us communicate the design more vividly(outline specific materials) and accurately(time of the day in video).