VR Open House - Observations / Ideas

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • We just had an open studio at our office and we had one of our Enscape models on display with the Rift setup if anyone wanted to check out VR. The room was a mix of architects and designers from other fields. Here are some observations I had as I was in charge of getting people into the model and quickly teaching them to navigate the model.

We had about 15-20 people come into the VR that were interested, I would say 90% of them had never tried VR before at all. This was out of maybe 60-70+ people in total at our event. I still think some people are not interested in this technology or are at least weary about putting the headset on.

It wasn't just young people that were interested. A lot of the people who were interested were older which was somewhat surprising to me.

Architects get into the VR space and look around, but the non-architects want to move quickly through and are looking for a more interactive experience, they almost get bored with just walking around in a static environment. I would say in less than a minute about half the users were like, "that's all?". They wanted cars and people to move - some said it was creepy that everything was still, especially the Enscape people proxies. As a sidenote - we all found that the Enscape people seem to be a bit red - maybe too much time in the tanning booth? ^^

It would be great to begin thinking about adding some interactivity - even if its just some thing that turns a series if layer sets on and off - for options. This way we have clients look at design options while inside the model. It would also be amazing to have material options in the model as well, so a client can select finishes - this would be huge!!!

Navigation - so we took the left Rift controller out of the whole equation altogether. We find its just another layer of complication to new users that is not necessary in these demo situations. The first thing I do is explain how to teleport as we find that this makes people less sick. no matter how I explained this, people shot the teleport straight out and ending up moving too quickly or ended up in a place in the model they did not belong. I would really like to see Enscape have the ability to turn on a 'simple teleport' that has a jump arc like you see in the Unreal VR template. I don't want someone to be able to shoot straight across and open area, rather I would like them 'hop' maybe 5-25' depending on how the raise the arc.

I have requested this one before - LIMITS - we need to be able to create a boundary that Enscape will simply not allow you to pass. People love testing the limits and always want to go 'backstage'. I even placed stanchions in the model so people would not cross them - guess what? They still wanted to. It would just be nice if Enscape had a boundary and it would not go any further - maybe a little message pops up floating in VR that says, please turn around, this area is no accessible in VR.

We were running Enscape 2.5 on an 1080ti and I have the say that the quality has come a long way in the last year. I am very impressed in the direction that Enscape is heading - EXCELLENT work Enscape team!

:thumbsup:

• I agree with everything you've said. We often defer to Unreal, despite the larger investment in development time, purely because you can dictate terms a lot more closely.

One thing that I dislike is that realtively poor visual fidelity. We don't run our VR models on anything beyond Medium most of the time, as the GI "clearing up" effect is not great. We are running 2080Ti cards too, and have experimented with settings a lot. Medium, with subtle outlines seems to be best. It is no where near Unreal for quality, so in a way they are a good foil to one another.

• +1 to all

win 10 | 3080ti | intel 12900k | 64 gig ram | asus mainboard | ssd 980 pro | valve index | dual asus proart 4k monitor

drawing stuff with vectorworks, modelling stuff with sketchup, rendering inside blender/cinema4d with corona render

& ofc using enscape and lately d5 and also a little ue5 :)

best of all > experiencing stuff in VR with enscape !!

• Official Post

Thank you all very much for your feedback. I can say, that all this has been requested before already, so there are multiple feature request filed on our agenda to which I'll add your up-votes and feedback!

• I wonder if the younger peeps have viewed VR in UE 4. It gives you much more interactivity where you can click on something and get a menu to switch materials etc. Even grab and move objects. Even Yulio which is only a fix point experience allows for design options. And yes...The people's faces are very saturated and red. I typically have to turn down the saturation to get them to look somewhat normal.

• I have requested this one before - LIMITS - we need to be able to create a boundary that Enscape will simply not allow you to pass. People love testing the limits and always want to go 'backstage'. I even placed stanchions in the model so people would not cross them - guess what? They still wanted to. It would just be nice if Enscape had a boundary and it would not go any further - maybe a little message pops up floating in VR that says, please turn around, this area is no accessible in VR.

Tip: Use transparent materials to create boundaries

You're welcome :)