Enscape performance with Radeon Pro Vega 20 with 4GB of HBM2 memory

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape (including installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed here. Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hello,

Perhaps this topic is something already discussed elsewhere on this Forum. If so please direct me to the appropriate link(s).

I am entertaining the idea of getting a top of the line new generation MacBook Pro and these are offered with Radeon Pro Vega 20 - 4 GB HMB2 memory - video hardware. Does Enscape support this type of video hardware or plan to support it in the future?

In addition I plan to partition the drive so half may run Windows 10 while the other half runs Mac OS. Is there any advantage to running Enscape on the Windows 10 partition/OS with the Radeon Pro Vega 20, or perhaps that makes no difference?

Your expert clarifications will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Official Post

Hey mannyl , as long as you're running windows and/or Bootcamp which also executes windows, you should generally be able to use Enscape with that card, but looking at a few reports online, it seems that you may run into VR performance problems, especially with bigger projects and/or high/ultra Rendering Quality.

You could always opt for a machine with a better, more VR capable graphics card, or try Enscape VR with the Vega card - it may work when you're using draft/medium quality and you could also acquire an external GPU in case you experience problems.

Overall we would still recommend a dedicated card like the GTX 1080 at least for Enscape VR, with a windows machine, which is in your case probably not possible though.

• Official Post

Sound like I will better off sticking with a capable PC workstation and leave Mac alone for now.

Thank you for your clarification, it has been very helpful.

Well, yes. Right now a capable PC workstation is definitely the best when it comes to using Enscape / Enscape VR. :) Enjoy!

• I am guessing the status is still the same.....its better to run Enscape on a PC with 1080....or RTX 2080 ....rather than on MBP via bootcamp.

But has the 5600m GPU on the latest MBP 16" made any difference. Would Enscape run well enough via bootcamp on this machine now.

And by well enough....I mean like my Desktop PC ( Ryzen 1950, GTX 1080 Ti).....cause my desktop I want to upgrade from 1080 to 2080 ti.....hope to have a 40% jump up in permformance....or is that too much to expect?

• I think that is not too much to expect. The card itself already is about 35% faster and coming from non rtx to rtx will add quite a few extra percentages as well.

I recently upgraded from non rtx to rtx and ran Enscape render tests, it gave me another 25% boost!

• I am guessing the status is still the same.....its better to run Enscape on a PC with 1080....or RTX 2080 ....rather than on MBP via bootcamp.

But has the 5600m GPU on the latest MBP 16" made any difference. Would Enscape run well enough via bootcamp on this machine now.

And by well enough....I mean like my Desktop PC ( Ryzen 1950, GTX 1080 Ti).....cause my desktop I want to upgrade from 1080 to 2080 ti.....hope to have a 40% jump up in permformance....or is that too much to expect?

Depends what your threshold is for "good enough." A 5600m is going to be a bit less than a 2060.... still way below a 1080Ti. A "slim" laptop is never going to compare to a desktop with the cooling tradeoffs they have to make.

• Depends what your threshold is for "good enough." A 5600m is going to be a bit less than a 2060.... still way below a 1080Ti. A "slim" laptop is never going to compare to a desktop with the cooling tradeoffs they have to make.

ok.....My other line of thinking was ....that I should probably go for a base model of the MBP and then use an external GPU...for ENSCAPE via bootcamp....would that work better than going for 5600M.....and what external GPU would work in such workflow?

• Hi,

I would like to know if anyone have tried a MBP using an eGPU with Enscape via Bootcamp ?

I'm currently in this situation and I wonder if I should make the move to buy one. I need a laptop so I can take my work at University so a desktop workplace isn't an option at this time.

I run a 2018 MBP, i7-8850H 6 cores processor, 32 GB of RAM with the Radeon Vega 20 4GB HBM2 graphic card. I experienced some issues with large files on Enscape and was wondering if the eGPU could save that?

Thank you

• This is the closest thing to my question, so I'll go ahead and intrude this thread.

I am running Enscape with 8GB memory with RTX 2070 Super. My other specs are 32gb of 2666 RAM and a I9900K plus all SDD drives. Cooling is working very well.

I'm considering upgrading to 2080 TI.

Question is, does anyone run Enscape with 2080 TI? I need better performance, some of my models contain hundreds of light sources and are very demanding. I should also be able to do some VR stuff with my models too. I could naturally make my models lighter but since I really only want to improve things, I rather upgrade the hardware.

Will I get a NOTICEABLE difference (2080 is an expensive investment for me) with 2080 TI compared to 2070 SUPER?

• Will I get a NOTICEABLE difference (2080 is an expensive investment for me) with 2080 TI compared to 2070 SUPER?

I doubt it would be particularly noticeable. Unless you are maxing out the 8Gb of VRAM, and need 11Gb in the 2080Ti. But if you were maxing it out that would likely be pretty obvious w/extremely poor performance or models refusing to launch. (you can check VRAM usage in task manager->performance or with GPU-Z)

At this point the 3000-series cards are coming soon, and Nvidia has stopped production on current high-end cards, so 2080Ti prices are actually going up (at least in the US.) So it probably makes more sense to wait for the next gen.

• I've been monitoring my VRAM usage and overall amount of GPU work and it's pretty much maxed in the key scenes.

Some of my arch-VR-experiences just simply have an annoying lag every 3-5 second, which makes them not possible to use. Dropping graphics will fix this, but I am dreaming of such gear that VR-experiences would work better with the maximized graphics settings.

You're not the only one to say "wait for the 3000-series", so I'll propably end up doing that.

• If you are pushing the VRAM that much, may be worth looking at the 24GB Titan RTX.... seems like that has not spiked in price and is fairly available here. (still quite expensive, just that the difference is less compared to the 2080Ti increase.)

Looks like Sept. 9th announcement for the 3000 series so not too long to wait. If the 3080Ti has 20Gb as rumored that would be nice....