Improvements to web standalones for tablets/smart phones

• I have tested how web standalones work on my Samsung Galaxy smart phone. Surprisingly it did pretty well, although my phone is not very high performing.

To test it, mail yourself the weblink and open on your phone or tablet in a webbrowser that supports the gyro on your device. On my Samsung phone it only works on Samsungs own internet browser.

What already works is:

You can move forward and sideways like with a joystick by pointing at the screen and moving your finger up/down (forward/backwards) left and right (strife). You will move in Flymode in the direction you look.

There are menu items that block part of the view when you start the web standalone. The settings-menu don't react to taps, but with some difficulty I managed to minimize it.

I had to allow rotating the view to manage to click the minimize-tab in vertical mode.

Some "small tweaks and fixes" could make it work quite well.

1. Make the menues react to tapping and dragging.
    2. The movement control could have the graphic representations for the desktop keys react to taps and a discrete tab to open when minimized.
    3. Double-tapping could move to the point tapped.
    4. You can't control Time of Day. For some reasons all my standalones are stuck on pre dawn. You could tap-drag the right-mouse-button sideways to change (see point 2).
    5. You can't toggle Fly Mode. Tap the FlyMode-field top right could work.
    6. There could be a split-screen button so it would work in Cardboards. In there movement could be controlled like Google Earth is in Cardboards. Use the magnet-button to stop start movement.

I know that tablets and handhelds are not priorities, but I think some small improvements could make it a feature! The standalones could be demonstrated on a go without setting up advanced VR-systems. More people could watch the scenes simultanaously etc.

/Jim

• Thank you all for the feedback - I've created a corresponding feature request to generally improve the Web Standalones for smartphones/tablets. Be assured, that we'll of course be always adding further improvements to the Web Standalone in general, when it comes to using them in a browser on a PC/Laptop, or on a capable mobile device! :)