Possibility to use locomotion without the headset forward looking direction?

• Hi,

we are looking into Enscape as a tool to be used by our customers in their design process together with our VR treadmill (Omnideck). We have tried Enscape and it seems to be a very suitable candidate.

We are wondering if it would be possible to have an option to completely disable the forward looking direction when locomotion is driven by the left controller track pad?

It would be really useful to be able to move through a corridor and look to the left/right into adjacent rooms without having to touch the left/right side of the touchpad (to strafe).

When a user is on our treadmill their looking direction and movement direction are completely detached - as when you walk normally in real life :)

Today, if a user would use Enscape on our treadmill, when they first look and move north all is fine, however for example when they begin looking to the left while still walking north the Enscape camera moves to the left (west). Thus the actual physical walking direction (north) is in conflict with their looking direction (west).

Therefore we wonder if it is could be possible to disable this option in a coming release?

If it is of any help we have extensive knowledge in openvr driver development.

Have a great day,

Peter

CTO Omnifinity

• omnifinity

Changed the title of the thread from “Possible to use smooth locomotion without forward direction influced based on headset looking direction” to “Possibility to use locomotion without the headset forward looking direction?”.
  • omnifinity thank you very much for your request and welcome to our forum. :)

I will happily forward this inquiry as a feature request to our developers accordingly. I'll also let them know that this would be of great demand to you!

Let me know in case there is ever anything else I can help you with.

• Hello omnifinity welcome to our forums.

I was wondering how the input is submitted to Enscape? When in seated mode, you can translate freely using the left analog stick. This is currently restricted in room scale, but it should be possible unlock it. Our experience with room scale is that any translation, especially sideways makes people nauseous and there is a risk of people falling over; hence why it is restricted.

For the time being you can try if seated mode works for you. In that mode the height is restricted to the spectator head position in walk mode, but apart form that, there is no reason why you cant use it standing up.

• Hi,

thanks for the replies and the description of the current movement scheme. We fully understand why you've decided to implement movement in Enscape in this form.

To cut some corners would it be possible to take this further in a phone or skype conversation and have both a technical- and business development discussion on this topic?

/P

• Hello again,

I just checked what the issue may be and I understand the issue. You mean decoupling the motion input from the HMD head. Thus forward is the global forward not the direction of view.

I will PM you with contact information and options on how to proceed.