Revert to Old VR Teleport Interface

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • We recently updated Enscape and were surprised to find that the teleport interface has changed to include a figure instead of just showing the target. The interface now also seems much more "fussy" - it's harder for our users to place themselves where they are trying to go and seems to be slower or less responsive to the controller button press.

Is there a way to select the old VR user interface as an option, without downgrading Enscape? We are using the system in a sales environment and the updates are resulting in a much worse user experience.

• hollyconradsmith

Changed the title of the thread from “Revert to Old VR eleport Interface” to “Revert to Old VR Teleport Interface”.
    • Official Post

We recently updated Enscape and were surprised to find that the teleport interface has changed to include a figure instead of just showing the target. The interface now also seems much more "fussy" - it's harder for our users to place themselves where they are trying to go and seems to be slower or less responsive to the controller button press.

Is there a way to select the old VR user interface as an option, without downgrading Enscape? We are using the system in a sales environment and the updates are resulting in a much worse user experience.

Not yet, but I'm sorry to hear that it's now not as convenient as before to you. Be assured that we're aware that there are currently some tweaks necessary which will make the VR experience (when it comes to the controls) as great as before.

Also, is there any particular reason as to why you're not liking the figure instead of just the target? We implemented this change to give the user a bit more of a hint regarding what this functionality does.

• Feedback has been that it's confusing to aim at the wall but see the figure on the ground. I understand what the goal was, but somehow it is making it harder for our users to grasp what they need to do.

The figure may not be the entire problem - it would probably be intuitive if the teleport function was always resposive, but sometimes I click and nothing happens. This makes users think they are doing something wrong or misunderstanding the visual cues. With the old interface, teleportation was always instantaneous.

We also discovered by chance that the VR toggle in the standalone files has been moved to "Devices." I can't find that change noted anywhere - even the how-to sections on the website still don't show that change. https://enscape3d.com/knowledgebase/standalone-export/

• Hello hollyconradsmith, thank you for the feedback.

We had a number of users getting stuck under stairs and sloping walls, that is why we altered the teleport validation. We also made the teleportation place the user on the ground when in walk mode, since falling does make many uncomfortable.

Can you please point out specific situations where you feel the teleport is not working as intended? I will look into it and see if we can improve the feature further.

• I think the main problem is that when users pull the trigger to teleport, nothing happens about 50% of the time, whereas previously there was no delay in function. For first time users it is really confusing because they aren't sure if they are doing something incorrectly, when it's just the intterface not functioning consistently.

The "body" of the figure that shows is very large and opaque, so in smaller spaces it becomes difficult to see what is going on.

• I think I am starting to see what you mean. I am still mildly confused, because the teleport indicator existed beforehand and kinda sorta already checked if the teleport target location had enough space to place you, it just didn't try to place you on the ground.

You can alleviate some of the issues that happen in small spaces, by reducing the spectator width and spectator height. I would be a bit careful with the height though, since that is the offset to the ground in seated mode, having a spectator height that does not roughly match the actual person, can give you a false sense of scale. The indicator figure is exactly as large as the configured spectator, so if it is "very large" something seems off.

My advice to users of VR is to first slightly press the trigger button to get the teleport indicator, then to aim at a spot on the floor where they want to teleport. This best gives them the feeling of what will happen. Just squeezing the trigger will generally result in lots of confusion and disorientation.

Alternatively, I have heard good reports with people using views to move people around in the model. Before the presentation, a number of key views are configured and during the course of the presentation, the spectator is guided through the views and effectively never modes on their own. This is, so I am told, the most novice friendly solution.

Can you post or send me the types of geometry where you are having trouble moving around in VR? I will have a look and see if there are ways in making it less error prone.