Enscape Preset Management

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hello,

I rely on presets a LOT when working; I have a different preset for almost every view because of the nature of my projects. In the previous version it was super helpful for the name of the preset to be visible at the top of the settings tab, and it was very easy to overwrite settings or switch between presets. The process seems convoluted now. How do I know which preset I'm using? There are so many more steps now to overwrite or switch. I'm wondering if this could be simplified again.

• Official Post

Hello,

I rely on presets a LOT when working; I have a different preset for almost every view because of the nature of my projects. In the previous version it was super helpful for the name of the preset to be visible at the top of the settings tab, and it was very easy to overwrite settings or switch between presets. The process seems convoluted now. How do I know which preset I'm using? There are so many more steps now to overwrite or switch. I'm wondering if this could be simplified again.

Thanks a lot for your feedback; you can very gladly let me know how you would like to adjust our settings management for more ease of use and we'll of course listen. So far I've collected the following: Have the selected settings preset displayed in the Visual Settings dialogue, overwrite/switch between presets more easily.

Thank you in advance!

• I would second this - it is a nightmare moving between presets now and reading through the tutorials I still don't know how to overwrite a preset without saving this as a new one.... No point changing something that worked perfectly before?

The strength with Enscape is quality and ease of use - but when phrases like "static value dumps", "operations are atomic operations" and "value repository" are used to explain new Setting Presets it doesn't feel very accessible.

• Official Post

I would second this - it is a nightmare moving between presets now and reading through the tutorials I still don't know how to overwrite a preset without saving this as a new one.... No point changing something that worked perfectly before?

The strength with Enscape is quality and ease of use - but when phrases like "static value dumps", "operations are atomic operations" and "value repository" are used to explain new Setting Presets it doesn't feel very accessible.

Thank you, I'll forward this as well of course!

• I'm working on these day with presets and I'd like to add my two cents to the topic.

1. I confirm that would be VERY useful to store the preset configuration per sketchup scene

2. At the moment it's not clear what I'm "saving to file" if I try and export the settings: i don't know if I'm exporting ALL presents or only current (I found by trial-error to be only the current, correct me if I'm wrong)

3. Could be useful to implement the export of ALL settings present in a SU file.

That's my contribution for now, tahnks!

• robinchs, 777kme  pibuz

Essentially the new settings presets work as follow.

Save to file (.json) saves all file to that json file (available in the Enscape Settings folder) . This is what would be considered as the 'value repository', or your base settings, if you like. So each time you open Enscape you start with those ' base' settings. You can always reset these to the default settings provide on a fresh install of Enscape.

Save to project means that the you are changing whatever Base Settings, and these are then saved as a Preset for that project file..

The developers are aware that a number of you want to see the name of the setting preset you are using being shown again in the Settings Presets and I have up-voted the related story we have in regards to this.

As we will be liking the way to this behaves to Views / Scene in the next version, then this may start to make more sense.

I will have the Knowledgebase article revised though to take into change the terms used there to make the information more accessible.

• robinchs save to file does not autosave so it only is what saved file, which you should probably rename template? I guess.

If all this is true, then the good workflow would be to always save to project. But thing is if I want to reuse this exact setting in another project, how complicated does this sound, I would have to save it to file, then open the other project and load it from file, then save it again into the project ?

• Official Post

This all has been bothering me too. I mostly miss the pull-down presets from before. Now you have to go through multiple menu steps to access different presets.

A few users have already requested to have a pull-down menu again, or similar - I'll forward your feedback as well to state the further demand of this.

• I agree that the UI could use some work there.

It's a lot of steps and windows now. Also it's so hidden I have to show most of our users how they can save settings etc.

• I agree with all above
    Also for me the UI is at best a pre-beta version and it's time to let good communication designers do their job ;)

For the beginning and in future and besides everything else, I'd be happy to have a Right Click context menu option directly in the render window at least with the two options "Preset-Infos and Settings" and the essential "Capture Settings". And in case you touch the UI, please don´t forget to assign an "Allways on Top" option to the render window :) this constant clicking forward of the render windows is unacceptable.

(I´m still running Enscape 2.6.1)