Can Enscape be used with the Oculus Quest?

• If you wish to use the Quest / Quest 2 with Enscape, try to make use of Oculus Air Link.

It has been reported by our users that the experience is great so far.

Quite a few customers have asked us if Enscape is supporting the Oculus Quest - while the Oculus Quest is not yet officially supported (there are no standalone files for example yet which could be used with this device), we have received quite a few positive reports from users which used the following software to stream Enscape into the Oculus Quest:

- ALVR

- VRidge

Keep in mind that you'll have to have a working internet connection - the faster the better when it comes to avoiding latency.

Alternatively, you can also connect the headset with a dedicated cable to your machine. For more information check out this article here (Oculus Link Beta). It works great with Enscape and we have tested it ourselves too!

For general inquiries or questions, feel free to create a thread in this forum, or contact support@enscape3d.com

• Hi there,

We are using Microsoft Surface Book 2 and 3 and are wondering if the dedicated cable will make Oculus Quest work with Enscape in a mobile setup, so we can take it to our clients?

• Hi there,

We are using Microsoft Surface Book 2 and 3 and are wondering if the dedicated cable will make Oculus Quest work with Enscape in a mobile setup, so we can take it to our clients?

If you go for the models which have a dedicated GPU included, it may work but I don't think that the performance will be great - you should be able to run Enscape VR in Draft or Medium quality, but for a fluent experience with higher quality we'd recommend something like a gaming laptop.

We haven't tested this combination ourselves, so definitely also make sure that the Surface Books you're acquiring are meeting our system requirements - I'm pretty sure that with a mobile GTX 1060 Enscape VR should be possible as mentioned but on lower quality settings. If the project(s) are on the large scale though, we rather recommend a gaming laptop or generally a laptop with at least a GTX 1070.

If budget would allow, you can of course go for something like a RTX 2060 or 2070, even a RTX 2080 to be VR and futureproof.

• Has anyone attempted this connection with Virtual Desktop?

Asking because I'm currently using a Rift S and am looking into acquiring a Quest too.

The Oculus Quest should work just fine with Virtual Desktop, as any VR applications should be functioning when the Quest is connected to a PC via a link cable.

• Has anyone attempted this connection with Virtual Desktop?

Asking because I'm currently using a Rift S and am looking into acquiring a Quest too.

I use it with virtual desktop all the time. It works great! I run it one a dated pc(but VR ready) and it runs super smooth.

Some basic specs:
    Ryzen 1600
    Nvidia rtx 1060

SSD

5ghz router

modeling software: Rhino

• Same here. We have alternated between RiftCat VRidge and Virtual Desktop since the Quest came out, they have slightly different approaches so one may work better for you. VRidge is free to set up and try with a time limitation which can help you see if it is something you can get up and running with.

We never had success with ALVR, but I feel it is more due to the hardware we tried to run on than anything else. ALVR is completely free I believe, and it has been a good while since I tried it.

• Demian Gutberlet

Is it possible to load an Enscape executable on the Oculus Quest 2? The goal would be to create a wireless presentation for my clients to walk through the model without being strapped on a pc or laptop.

Would it be also possible to monitor the person's movement/view through my IPad in real time?

Thank you!

• There is no possibility of using Enscape standalone files inside the Quest 2, but you could stream Enscape into the Quest 2 if you have a decent internet connection and capable 5GHZ wifi router. That would be possible with Virtual Desktop for example. From there on it may be possible to mirror the output of your computer monitor to the iPad itself - but going this route would of course require a portable PC/high-end laptop in the first place.

• Asking because I'm currently using a Rift S and am looking into acquiring a Quest too.

I switched from Rift S to Q2. Doing things wirelessly now.

Enscape has some movement bugs etc. when using it via Virtual Desktop. Not sure if it's a problem on Enscape's end or VD's end, but nevertheless, the experience is so buggy I wouldn't hand over a Q2 for a client with this setup. With tethered Rift S it worked fluently.

I'm curious to see if things get fixed, because after Covid calms down, I might start a service to let my clients VR walk the designs, and with Q2 it is not currently plausible due to too buggy experience.

• Sheik , it would be really interesting to know if other applications give you the same results via Virtual Desktop - perhaps you have something like a game installed to test it? Also, how fast is your internet connection?

• Sheik , it would be really interesting to know if other applications give you the same results via Virtual Desktop - perhaps you have something like a game installed to test it? Also, how fast is your internet connection?

I play with it all the time via VD, and it works perfectly. The modem using WLAN is very fast, so there's no issues with that either - in fast paced games, I would notice if it had anything to do with WLAN speed.

But worry not, I just heard Quest 2 is going to get a major update (I assume yall know it already, ofc, but just to put it out for others too); the new update is apparently going to enable 120Hz, but the major thing is, they'll go PCVR-support natively, so stuff like Virtual Desktop will no longer be needed. I'm pretty sure that the problems like I described disappear, so maybe going further in investigating that, wouldn't be worth the trouble?

• Hello : ))

We're trying to make VR work for us with Revit and Enscape but are having little success.

We've got a Dell XPS 15 laptop with a suitable spec for running Revit/Enscape and meets Oculus Rift/Rift S requirements (i9/64gb ram/Nvidia 1650ti) other than the missing external displayport outlet. The laptop only has three USB-C outlets, two of which are thunderbolt/displayport combined.

We've purchased a Rift S and a used Rift CV1 and can get neither to work through the laptop dock or dedicated USB-C / HDMI / Displayport adapters.

So reading this thread suggests that the wireless Quest 2 may work...

And if we connect though the USB-C with the quest Cable we'll in theory get better fluid experience?

Sorry i'm very new to this.

What additional software is needed to make this work with revit/enscape/quest2? and there is mention above of Virtual desktop, what does this do?

• I just got an oculus quest 2 and got it working with just a regular USB 3.0 connector (make sure to run the device speed test in the oculus software, I was able to run it ok even with a crappy cable that delivered only 320mbps)

You need to oculus software installed and for the headset itself to be in Oculus Link mode - you'll get an entirely different interface on the quest as your PC starts rendering the normal oculus menus. I can tell this has happened because my PC fans kick in big time!

Start enscape and click the VR headset button - you could get a square view of what the headset is seeing on your PC and the VR view of the world in the headset itself.

I did have problems when I was using Enscape 3.1 , it would just flash "connect HMD" OR I would get the image on the laptop, but not in the headset itself. But as 3.1 is still in preview, I can't blame it for that.

Virtual desktop is an app that allows you to stream your entire PC into your Oculus Quest, but more importantly and interesting it allows you to stream it all wirelessly and software will see a headset connected as if it is physically connected. IF you have a full speed wireless AC , AX or Wifi6 connection direct connection to the wifi router your PC is connected to (by cable) then this is really a compelling experience, technically there is a little more latency, but it's really very good - I've played full on shoot bang video games with it! Although I haven't tested it with enscape actually.

Oculus Quest 2 looks like it is getting this built in with a new feature called "Oculus Air" , so you may be able to do the same thing without paying the small fee for virtual desktop.