Masonry texture solution

• Hi all, I was wondering if a Revit user knows a solution to a problem I have faced many times before, but for which I have never been able to come up with a solution for myself. X/

See attached image:

In some cases we model buildings which have a masonry lintel (it's called a lintel in English right? :P) above doors/windows. For drawings and 3D images in Revit I have no problem of displaying this right. But when rendering and using textures I face the problem of not being able to find these specific textures.

I was wondering if there are other users which know a solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance!

• The same issue would be present if you render straight out of Revit. Without a material map that has gauged brick it won't look great. Without actually trying it - I don't think it would take too long to make one. The only hard part in making it for something other than that specific lintel is the brick gauging, since the angle varies depending on width.

• The same issue would be present if you render straight out of Revit. Without a material map that has gauged brick it won't look great. Without actually trying it - I don't think it would take too long to make one. The only hard part in making it for something other than that specific lintel is the brick gauging, since the angle varies depending on width.

Thanks for the tip! I have tried to search for a material map with gauged bricks, but I realy couldn't find one, also to match the current brick texture. I have some skill with photoshop so I could try to make it myself, but how would you do this since you say it wouldn't take too long to make one? :)

• If you make it square (vertical brick) and render a face-on view of this bit, you can then use the 'skew' or 'perspective' tools in a paint program to shape the bricks, then re-shape the lintel again and use this texture as a fill ...

Unfortunately this is not how the lintel would be constructed IRL, so for complete accuracy you might have to make individual bricks and rotate them, leaving a spaced out mortar gap. But few people would actually notice/appreciate the work.

• Thanks all for thinking along with me :)

I will try to photoshop the current texture and test what the outcome will be when I render this with Enscape. Will post the result also ;)

• Thanks for the tip! I have tried to search for a material map with gauged bricks, but I realy couldn't find one, also to match the current brick texture. I have some skill with photoshop so I could try to make it myself, but how would you do this since you say it wouldn't take too long to make one? :)

I would export an elevation of the lintel to use a reference, open that in Photoshop and place the bricks in over it. You can skew them in PS or apply a mask pretty easily to get the gauge set. Then add in the mortar as a separate layer behind the brick.

I made the attached in about 2 minutes with no reference image for the actual gauging and using images I already had, but it should convey the general idea. I cut the brick out of another texture, and the mortar is just a broom finish concrete texture.

• I would make your window header a sep. family(or part of the window family) and it would have a main extrustion thats material is your mortar material then use a face based brick family to create the bricks on top of it. I have a solid brick texture that is many bricks put together with no mortar. I do the same thing for radius'd brick details. takes a little time but provides the best realism.