remote desktop graphic card error

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
    • Official Post

Hi jpedstrand ,

Unfortunately the Windows Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) does not support OpenGL 4.3 which is needed to run Enscape.

Hardware accelerated OpenGL (that's the one your graphic adapter provides) is only available locally. If you use Remote Desktop, your application can't access the hardware accelerated OpenGL and it will end up using Microsoft Generic OpenGL Software Renderer as a fallback.

This is the way Microsoft built it, but they are working on it, so maybe it will be supported sometime in the future.

• Official Post

Demian Gutberlet : I know that there are alternatives to Windows Remote Desktop - do you know if any of them would work with Enscape?

As far as I know Citrix's remote application should work with Enscape, but it's generally not something which is officially supported I'm afraid.

In our experience, RDP and Enscape does work on a Quadro.

Glad to hear that then. It may work with some specific setups, but that is also the case with Intel on-board graphics which may sometimes work with Enscape too. :)

• You can get Enscape to work when using RDP if it's already open and running, but tends to crash a lot and the performance is pretty bad. Similarly, I've used it with team viewer and other screen sharing software and while it does run, it drops to about 15fps or less and will probably crash at some point. Maybe some day Microsoft will improve RDP to include opengl.

• Glad to hear that then. It may work with some specific setups, but that is also the case with Intel on-board graphics which may sometimes work with Enscape too. :)

We use Enscape and other OpenGL apps over RDP extensively with Quadro cards, it always works.

...for instance at clientmeetings, which often take place out of office.

RDP works well to a remote machine in the office, but I wouldn't count on it over a clients' internet connection. HP has their Remote Graphics Software which is much more tuned for graphics performance than RDP. And works with the gaming cards that RDP doensn't support. Unfortuntly it costs $ unless you are running HP systems.

That said, if you are presenting off-site frequently there are plenty of laptops that will give you a much better experience than a remote session.

• Hi I am an architecture student looking to run Enscape through sketch up for a university project. I am using a Windows desktop computer and have been told that it is using my GPU from Intel. I understand different graphics cards are needed are these something that I can download to my computer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Danielle

• Official Post

danielleriley , I'm afraid, if you do not have a dedicated graphics card alongside your Intel on-board graphics chip inside your machine, then you'd either have to acquire one, or switch to a different machine. Check out our dedicated system requirements here. :) Also, just to avoid any confusion, since a GPU is a physical item, you cannot download it.

• Following up on Enscape Team wrote on 2019 Nov 14th:

"Unfortunately the Windows Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) does not support OpenGL 4.3 which is needed to run Enscape.

Hardware accelerated OpenGL (that's the one your graphic adapter provides) is only available locally. If you use Remote Desktop, your application can't access the hardware accelerated OpenGL and it will end up using Microsoft Generic OpenGL Software Renderer as a fallback.

This is the way Microsoft built it, but they are working on it, so maybe it will be supported sometime in the future."

Just wondering if anyone knows if Windows RDP has been updated to support OpenGL4.3 now and working for Enscape V2.7? Or we need to wait for Microsoft a little longer. Thanks.

• Official Post

I'm afraid, since Enscape also requires OpenGL 4.4 now minimum, Windows RDP is still not something we recommend using. Alternatives which provide at least OpenGL 4.4 support may work, but it's overall not something we're officially supporting.

• Hi all,

We know that windows 10 rdp with for instance sketchup only works with quadro cards and not the rtx or gtx cards!

So my colleague who works with sketchup can sometimes work at home.

Now with the amd graphics cards (580/5700 series) i dont know yet if these work out of the box with rdp, anyone have some experience?

• Official Post

I'm afraid, we cannot make any promises that it'll work with any of these AMD cards - maybe someone else has more experience here.

• FWIW, I've had success with an RX 580 over remote desktop. Not a super experience, but it functions.

So that would mean for amd i could choose a "gaming" card and not the much more expensive workstation cards in order to use sketchup via windows remote desktop and enscape?

That would be nice

• Ah thank you, that means that sketchup probably will work too because enscape and Sketchup both supports Open GL.

Looks like the AMD gaming-cards do support this.

The nvidia gaming cards do support Open GL but they disabled something in the driver so that only the quadro cards work with sketchup/enscape over RDP.

There is a way to "mod" the quadro drivers to include the gaming-card "strings" and that seems to work but i'm not going to do that.

Going to try a AMD graphics card and see if that works.

• I do know this topic has been done to death and the problem appears to be openGL support however my testing has shown that IF enscape is started locally on the remote machine, then a remote user logging in after that CAN see and interact with the Revit model in the Enscape window. If the window is closed they cannot reinstatiate it so it appears to be the act of starting Enscape remotely that is the issue, not interacting with it as such.

With this in mind , does it point to any kind of techical fix for the issue?

• I can imagine that remote desktop assigns some virtual GPU on Enscape start. We cannot influence which GPU Enscape gets assigned on start currently, Windows does it.