remote desktop graphic card error

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • I have no problem with MS Remote Desktop and Enscape. Quadro P5000. We have P2000s in many workstations as well. We are getting a mix of errors and problems now that 750+ people are working from home.

Has anyone here tried the OGL acceleration tool for GeForce GPUs from NVidia?

https://developer.nvidia.com/designworks

It seems targeted at just this issue.

Accelerate Windows Remote Desktop

Game developers and content creators all over the world are working from home and asking us to help them use Windows Remote Desktop streaming with the tools they use.

We've created a special tool for GeForce GPUs to accelerate Windows Remote Desktop streaming with GeForce drivers R440 or later.

Download and launch the executable as administrator on the Windows Desktop where your OpenGL application will run. A dialog will confirm that OpenGL acceleration is enabled and if a reboot is required.

• Good find. I've installed this geforce opengl tool on a few computers so far and it opens Enscape without hanging. I've not tried it on large or complex models.

Thanks for the feedback. Can you give me a quick sense of the GPUs on those workstations where this tool has helped? are they geforce or quadro? Models? Updated drivers?

We have had a range of issues with some users. So it is hard to make definitive claims. But one thing I think I am seeing is our security blocking the installation of needed VC++ Redist packages. We update drivers, log in with admin accounts and install/update Enscape, but still problems persist for some users. Given that it works flawlessly for me and several other users, I am not blaming Enscape at all. I'd just like to narrow this down to a few things we can do to try and solve this.

Thanks for your input, BSG

Stay safe. Stay healthy. Stay sane!

Jonah

• I've installed that tool on a variety of Geforce gpu's today using the latest 'doom ready' drivers. 960, 1060, 1070, 1080ti, 2060, 2080ti. Opening a simple Revit model over RDP, Enscape runs. Performance is about what I would expect through an RDP session.

With Quadros, we have been able to generally run Enscape through RDP for the past few months, without too many issues, but occasional crashes from what I've heard. Users also don't report every issue to me.

All of my Enscape 2.7+ installs include an additional install of the VC_redist otherwise it just hangs. I fully understand that Enscape doesn't officially support usage over RDP, so I warn users that they may experience crashes.

If some of your users are having strange behavior, check which version they are running. I've had issues with a couple people where 2.6 is uninstalled, 2.7 is installed, but somehow the user is still running on 2.6, so there are some items left behind which need to be cleaned up. The same with different versions of 2.7 msi, where I put the latest version on and they still get a popup that there is a newer version available. After doing some manual cleanup in the usual locations, they are good to go.

This tool you linked is great news, as we have a wide mix of cards, not all quadro, and it sure seems like remote life will be lasting much longer than we predicted about a month ago.

• I do know this topic has been done to death and the problem appears to be openGL support however my testing has shown that IF enscape is started locally on the remote machine, then a remote user logging in after that CAN see and interact with the Revit model in the Enscape window. If the window is closed they cannot reinstatiate it so it appears to be the act of starting Enscape remotely that is the issue, not interacting with it as such.

With this in mind , does it point to any kind of techical fix for the issue?

The perfect solution would be to have someone at the office to start Enscape, but that’s not going to happen.. Although, and that’s the interesting part, what we can do is assign a shortcut to start Enscape from the Revit option menu (i.e 11). Then open the “on-screen keyboard” in windows and type 11 from it. Essentially we need to simulate the keyboard from our office. We can’t use the keyboard at home but we can use the mouse and the “on-screen keyboard” in windows. Hope it helps.

• Is there any reason why Enscape can't work over remote desktop? Vray GPU works. Twinmotion works. Lumion Works. Unreal 4 works. Vray Lavina works. Max works. Photoshop works. Enscape is the lone software holdout in our entire firm wide software set that can't work over RDP. So it seems to be less of a Windows/RDP issue and more directly related to Enscape.

Even checking my GPU it shows that Revit itself is using the GPU hooked up to the RDP machine, but Enscape for is failing to see it. Since it seems like working from home is going to be a while, this should rocket to the top of your list.

My current test environment is my desktop and laptop hooked into my local network, I'm not even trying to access another computer outside of my home office.

• The reason is OpenGL. Try installing the patch nvidia came out with which allows for OpenGL to run over RDP while on a Geforce card. BTW, it does work over RDP if using a Quadro card.

None of it is officially supported by Enscape at the moment, fyi.

• Official Post

Is there any reason why Enscape can't work over remote desktop? Vray GPU works. Twinmotion works. Lumion Works. Unreal 4 works. Vray Lavina works. Max works. Photoshop works. Enscape is the lone software holdout in our entire firm wide software set that can't work over RDP. So it seems to be less of a Windows/RDP issue and more directly related to Enscape.

Even checking my GPU it shows that Revit itself is using the GPU hooked up to the RDP machine, but Enscape for is failing to see it. Since it seems like working from home is going to be a while, this should rocket to the top of your list.

My current test environment is my desktop and laptop hooked into my local network, I'm not even trying to access another computer outside of my home office.

That's a good question of course, thanks a lot for asking.

As BSG mentioned actually, (thank you for that), it's related to the fact that we're using OpenGL, where as Unreal or Lumion is using DirectX. But, if you want to use RDP and have an NVIDIA GPU that is not one of the Quadro models, then there is now a special tool for GeForce GPU's to accelerate Windows Remote Desktop streaming. You will have to make sure you are using the R440 GeForce drivers or later. Download and launch the executable as administrator on the Windows Desktop where your OpenGL application will run. A dialog will confirm that OpenGL acceleration is enabled and if a reboot is required.

• That's a good question of course, thanks a lot for asking.

As BSG mentioned actually, (thank you for that), it's related to the fact that we're using OpenGL, where as Unreal or Lumion is using DirectX. But, if you want to use RDP and have an NVIDIA GPU that is not one of the Quadro models, then there is now a special tool for GeForce GPU's to accelerate Windows Remote Desktop streaming. You will have to make sure you are using the R440 GeForce drivers or later. Download and launch the executable as administrator on the Windows Desktop where your OpenGL application will run. A dialog will confirm that OpenGL acceleration is enabled and if a reboot is required.

This is a great news!

• Not sure if I have seen it mentioned here yet...

while not an enterprise level tool, Google Chrome's remote desktop service is completely free and seems to work very well with enscape.

I have also been able to get it working in some windows RDP configurations, but not all.

The two certainly do not want to play well together.

• Official Post

Not sure if I have seen it mentioned here yet...

while not an enterprise level tool, Google Chrome's remote desktop service is completely free and seems to work very well with enscape.

I have also been able to get it working in some windows RDP configurations, but not all.

The two certainly do not want to play well together.

Interesting and good to know, thanks for the feedback.

• Hi guys, I just thought I would reply to this as I have spent time working on this.
    I have been able to get Enscape to work fine with Quadro cards via RDP. GTX cards dont seem to work out of the box.

The best solution I found was actually to use a third party remote control solution called Splashtop. (Logmein Pro also works) ..

Via RDP, even though it works, it still very clunky. Using a third party remote control app, like the ones mentioned before allows smooth navigation and generally "just works". I currently have about 30 people using it and they love it. (and the price is low enough to make it attractive, unlike LogmeIn Pro).

As a final mention, for people using "Z" series HP machines, HP offer a free Remote control solution called "Z Central - Remote Boost" . Unlike other solutions, this requires a VPN connection (or some way to directly talk to the IP of the other machine), but still works very well. This is FREE for HP Z series users.

If you are just on a LAN or WAN and want a free solution you can also use something like "TightVNC". Check the licencing details to make sure you are allowed to use this for free (I dont use it at work).