remote desktop graphic card error

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • So I'm working from home like many people these days, using Remote Desktop to connect to my office computer. On my office computer, I'm running an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q, and I've just updated my drivers. I also signed up for, downloaded, and ran the NVIDIA DesignWorks OpenGL app. Restarted office computer per instructions, reconnected with Remote Desktop, updated to Enscape 2.9, restarted again. Opened Revit, opened a project, tried to "Start" Enscape, it gets to 5% and then fatal errors out of Revit every time. Any ideas what may be going on? This isn't just happening to me, multiple users are experiencing the same issue, no one has gotten this to work. We may end up having to drop Enscape for another Rendering/animation engine (TwinMotion or Lumion). But based on what I've seen in the past, I like Enscape and would like to continue working with it.

• That's a good question of course, thanks a lot for asking.

As BSG mentioned actually, (thank you for that), it's related to the fact that we're using OpenGL, where as Unreal or Lumion is using DirectX. But, if you want to use RDP and have an NVIDIA GPU that is not one of the Quadro models, then there is now a special tool for GeForce GPU's to accelerate Windows Remote Desktop streaming. You will have to make sure you are using the R440 GeForce drivers or later. Download and launch the executable as administrator on the Windows Desktop where your OpenGL application will run. A dialog will confirm that OpenGL acceleration is enabled and if a reboot is required.

Did you try this?

• > On my office computer, I'm running an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q

Not that this is relevant to the problem but what hardware are you remoting into? Desktop GPUs would not have Max-Q.

Do you happen to have Sketchup on the remote PC? If the OpenGL portion isn't working, Sketchup should refuse to launch. Need to narrow it down if it's an nvidia/OpenGL thing or an Enscape thing.

What version of Revit? Can you try uninstalling Enscape 2.9 and downgrade to 2.8.2?

• Did you try this?

Yes, I believe so, that's why I mentioned updating my drivers as well as installing the NVIDIA DesignWorks (which is the "executable" file that was mentioned with the link). For my drivers, I used the "Studio driver" vs. the "Game Ready Driver"....should I try those? I also do not have Sketchup on the machine I am trying to connect to. Hardware:

Dell G5 5590

Windows 10 Enterprise

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60 GHz

32 GB RAM

256 GB NVME HDD Primary

512 GB NVME HDD Secondary/Storage

Revit 2021.1

Enscape works when in the office and running locally, so it shouldn't be an Enscape issue. I don't see a reason to downgrade, unless we know Enscape 2.9 will not work with the NVIDIA DesignWorks and running Remote Desktop after.

• For my drivers, I used the "Studio driver" vs. the "Game Ready Driver"....should I try those? I also do not have Sketchup on the machine I am trying to connect to. Hardware: Dell G5 5590

fwiw, I verified Enscape 2.9.1 + Revit 2021 is working remotely for us with the nvidia OpenGL patch on both a desktop w/2080Ti and a laptop w/2080. I usually use studio drivers; don't think the game drivers would matter.

I would try -

- Uninstall Enscape in add/remove programs; reinstall. Depending how many versions of Enscape you have had installed, with all the MS Visual Studio versions things can get weird.

- I assume that Dell has an integrated Intel GPU. You could try disabling that in device manager. I would think if that were the problem, Enscape would throw an error when it launches, but with both Intel + nvidia over remote there is potential for weirdness.

- download a benchmark test to verify OpenGL is working. UNIGINE Benchmarks