Image-segmenting workflow to avoid Memory Overflow when exporting at very high resolutions

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hi all,

I have read several posts in the bug reports section regarding Memory Overflow (where Enscape and the host application quit unexpectedly while exporting a high-resolution image). Unfortunately, I have experienced this myself in both Revit and Rhino when rendering large models at 6-8K resolution.

I have recently been asked to create higher-resolution exports of a huge scene that I was unable to render above 4K without experiencing Memory Overflow. The images that I need to provide will be printed on very large banners, so my preference would be to render them at 8K as a minimum.

My question is this:

Does anyone who has suffered from this same issue have a workflow (other than manually adjusting the view and manually stitching in Photoshop) for breaking a set view perspective into 4 constituent quadrants and rendering each of these individually as a way to achieve a higher final-output resolution? I would love to find a way to do this where the images line up perfectly edge-to-edge without stitching manually.

• Official Post

Did you update to 2.6.1? I had no problem w/ exporting at 8k before 2.6.1., updated yesterday, now it's broken. Already filed a support request.

If you're using a RTX gpu this might be due to a higher memory demand (and other memory management requirements) by the RTX raytracing implementation. But of course we'll give you more dedicated feedback once we've had a look at your log files.

I would love to find a way to do this where the images line up perfectly edge-to-edge without stitching manually.

I'm afraid with this approach you're going to see lot's of seams in your image, as Enscape does utilize so called screen space techniques that will lead to different result depending on your current camera window.

We're generally very much aware of the demand to render in higher resolution than current graphics cards are capable of and will work on this issue for future releases.

• Thanks to all for the responses. For reference, I am rendering with a GTX1070 or 1080 depending on the model, and have experienced this issue with both the current Enscape build and previous ones, but probably moreso with the current build now that I think about it.

Clemens Musterle - if there was a way to render a 'standard' capture in the same manner that panoramas are rendered (meaning how the render frame scrolls from left-to-right across the image field), that would be fantastic, and would seemingly eliminate the problem... I don't export very many panoramas, but when I do they are always set to High resolution, and I have never had Enscape fail while exporting one.

• Official Post

Clemens Musterle - if there was a way to render a 'standard' capture in the same manner that panoramas are rendered (meaning how the render frame scrolls from left-to-right across the image field), that would be fantastic, and would seemingly eliminate the problem... I don't export very many panoramas, but when I do they are always set to High resolution, and I have never had Enscape fail while exporting one.

Yes, that's an option we're evaluating for that - however for Panoramas we're already tuning down some of those screen space effects, so one of the downsides of this approach would be that higher resolution renderings that are stitched together wouldn't have the same fidelty as lower resolution ones.

• Is there any purchase in the idea of setting up a 'fly-past' video at highest quality (to generate several stills) and then stitch them all together.

I did try it once and the effect was a little strange; probably needed a much wider DOF than I tried.