Persistent Crashing Sketchup + Enscape 2.6.1

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • I have constantly been experiencing crashes to both Enscape and Sketchup during output of 4K images (Ultra HD). I am running an RTX 2080 and I have the most up-to-date drivers (441.20). This happens to all of my office files - files that weren't experiencing this issue prior to 2.6. Issues that others had brought up in 2.6.0 with outputs hanging on the loading bar were occurring, but now under 2.6.1 the output lag is causing a full crash (without a crash report popup I might add). I am not able to create outputs at this time above 1080p. Anyone have thoughts on why this is occurring or if you are experiencing the same issue?

Thanks!

Travis

• I also encountered a situation similar to yours.

I used the RTX2070 and installed the latest Nvidia driver. But if the length of the output is larger than 6000 pixels (even in extremely simple scenes), 2.6.1 will crash.

In contrast, the allowed maximum size picture can be output in 2.6.0.

• Official Post

Travis D , reiset , thanks for your reports. I'm afraid, due to the nature of RTX the same rendering resolutions require quite a lot more VRAM, but we're currently in the process of improving this behavior further and further, making it more VRAM efficient. In this case, please still kindly send in a feedback report both of you so that we can make very sure that this is surely caused by the VRAM running full, which is in turn responsible for crashes, and not due to some other problem.

• Thanks Demian, I have been in touch with Peter from Customer Support and he's been very helpful. Looks like it is a VRAM issue. I have, at any rate, been finding success at 4K in 2.6.1 with another workstation as it has an 11GB 1080ti the latest drivers (DXR active)...unless the RTX support in 2.6.1 isn't the same as DXR support...maybe you can clarify? Anyway, I'm happy to hear that you're working on VRAM efficiency for the near future.

• Official Post

Travis D , DXR is not equal with RTX. Check out this article here for example for further information if you're interested.

A excerpt from the site:

"NVIDIA heavily focuses on the native hardware-accelerated tech which RTX is, whilst Microsoft stresses out that DirecX DXR is an extension of an existing DX tool-set and compatible with all of the future certified DX12-capable graphics cards"

Still, the two are able to work together in unison, but to get to the point, the GTX 1080 Ti does not support hardware-accelerated RTX, which is why Enscape RTX support is also not available/activated for this card, which explains why you're able to render images in that high resolution without running into VRAM problems. :)

• DDM - it's likely an RTX issue, and you should try to downgrade to the previous Enscape version and see if that resolves the issue for you and please report back if it does make any difference.

• Per support recommendation , I updated the video card to lasted driver from the nvidia website (see screenshot),

but I still having the same problem with 2.6.1 when I capture images, crash sketchup.

the crash only happen on high and ultra resolution, medium and draft work fine , see link including sample with images on both version.

per your recommendation I downgraded to 2.6.0, it is working on any resolution.

https://sgharch-my.sharepoint.…9HuDkgGJti1x52Nw?e=QyqMr9

I going to sent the report again to support , please keep me updated on this issue, by the way I like enscape,

apologies for my English, it is not my first language.

thank you,

Dario

• DDM - thanks for letting me know that rolling back Enscape worked for you.

The crashes you are getting in 2.6.1 are to be expected, unfortunately,

The developers here are trying to fix this issue as quickly as possible.

• Guys really? Lets decide it honestly, RTX is a good thing or a bad thing for Enscape?!

RTX gives Enscape ability to render better reflections, among other phenomena, compared to non-RTX. There is also enough space for further improvements in e.g. shadows quality. So visual quality is better with RTX, and will get better with the time when we will adopt more rendering passes to use RTX where possible. From this point of view, RTX is a good thing for Enscape.

But there are issues of course, which is expected given how young this technology is. Current major issue is that you may get out of VRAM easily when you render big screenshots (>= 4k). This is of course not a good thing. Fixing or at least mitigating this particular problem is work in progress for the possible 2.6 bugfix or 2.7 release.

Our first priority for the RTX implementation now is to make Enscape with RTX work more stable and fix known issues. Further visual improvements are also planned. So the bad thing can go soon and RTX users will end up with the good tool in hands.

I think it's up to you to decide if it worth it right now. RTX is the cutting edge tech with all the pros and cons for those who want to use cutting endge features. There are comparisons of Enscape with and without RTX in the showcase section to help you make a decision.

• Thank you Alexander Devaykin.

So, nowadays RTX is a bad thing if you are planning to make 4k works, at least until the problem fixer release.

With all my respect to all the Enscape personel, I know they are working hard, and they are so nice. But I wonder did not nobody try to get a 4k render before the release of "major" RTX support of Enscape? :)

I admire ENSCAPE and its capabilities. Probably I will never use another render engine. Thats why (as beloved Demian Gutberlet knows (thank you again i am so happy wih the system you adviced :) i even set a new system for it.

• With all my respect to all the Enscape personel, I know they are working hard, and they are so nice. But I wonder did not nobody try to get a 4k render before the release of "major" RTX support of Enscape?

Crash possiblity depends on the current OS environment, other running applications and GPU usage, project contents, uptime and lots of other factors very much. Chances to get out of VRAM have grown with the introduction of RTX, but it does not mean it will crash directly. If it would crash directly by the first attempt to do a 4k screenshot on a typical scene, we would catch it immediately ;)

• Crash possiblity depends on the current OS environment, other running applications and GPU usage, project contents, uptime and lots of other factors very much. Chances to get out of VRAM have grown with the introduction of RTX, but it does not mean it will crash directly. If it would crash directly by the first attempt to do a 4k screenshot on a typical scene, we would catch it immediately ;)

It is known that the computational taxing is an obstacle fast unable to cross for the ray-tracing rendering. Nowadays Enscape 2.6.1 has solved it in the lead.

Though we hope that the GPU usage can be at least mitigated.

Is there any possibility to reduce the instant GPU usage through a longer wait time for the final image than now?

• Official Post

Is there any possibility to reduce the instant GPU usage through a longer wait time for the final image than now?

Yes, we're currently working on a solution that's basically doing that - it will allow you to render higher resolutions with a much lower memory footprint. There're still some issues to solve yet, but early prototypes look promising :)

Other than that we were also able to reduce some of the memory overhead (around 10-20%) for the RTX implementation and will release that fix in an upcoming 2.6.2 hotfix version :)

• having crashing issues with latest version of Enscape 2.6.1 + 13260 and SketchUp Pro 2019 19.3.253. Running an RTX 2080. Enscape will not create a report as it never fully starts. It gets to 95% then pauses for about 10 seconds, says loading, then everything closes. No errors, or reports, or warnings.