SketchUp Proxies

• I've downloaded the trial and so far it's very impressive. I noted that the latest preview version has support for SketchUp proxies so I've also download that. I can't however get the proxies to work. The only reference I can see is on the new preview version thread (New preview version 2.0.2.832) but the instructions are not clear to me. Can someone explain the various steps I need to take to show a low poly object in SketchUp, which renders as a high poly object in Enscape?

As a related point I can't find a manual as such. There are various videos, the knowledge base, forum etc which has got me up and running but it would be good to have a comprehensive online manual which provides information on all the features of Enscape in one place.

• Kenny

Click on the [Enscape Objects] button and on [Proxy] afterwards.

In the now opening explorer window you'll have to click on the wanted skp file and finally on [Open].

Now the proxy of this skp-file should be available in your components.

• Thanks Jonathan, I understand now.

Would it also be possible to reload components in a model and replace them with proxies? For example you might discover that there are far too many trees which weigh down the model so then decide to swap them with proxies. Doing this via reload would be a lot quicker than replacing them individually by dragging in replacement proxies.

Also, would it be possible for one type of component to display in Sketchup e.g. a low poly tree which would be linked to a high poly tree that displays in Enscape? Currently the proxy only displays as a square/rectangular outline.

• If you select and right-click a single component instance, there is a "Save as external model for Enscape" entry, which saves the component in a file and replaces all instances with a proxy linked to that file. But it doesn't clean your model of subcomponents or materials.

After you have your proxy component, you can do whatever you like with the content, nothing of it is shown in Enscape. If you would like to delete the box and insert a low poly version, that's fine.

Btw: If you want to replace your proxies with the real models, you can use standard SketchUp functionality and simply reload the proxy component.

• Simon Weinberger , Would it be possible to have the proxies, when created, act the way imported components and objects typically behave when placed in a scene. Import> Select model> Place in scene.

Its incredibly hard to find imported proxy components in big models. They get completely lost in the SU components browser and its very time consuming finding them or creating an empty scene, importing the proxies and then copying them over.