Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) Crash

• I have a file that I'm working on which was fine until I tried applying Skatter grass. Even as a proxy and render only, I got a Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) Crash (see attached). Strangely even after removing the geometry, Enscape now won't load the file without crashing. The file is around 40MB so not small but not huge either. Is this something that anyone else has experienced using Skatter?

I've had a few instances of this happening with the tests I've been doing. Despite Skatter working with proxies, the grass textures seem to overload Enscape.

My PC is a decent spec with a Quadro K2200 card with the latest drivers. I'm also on Windows 10 with 64 bit 4.00 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4790K and 32 GB of RAM.

• By the way I reduced the rendering to draft and reduced the render window size. I also unchecked the grass texture in Enscape. It still crashed. I thought I might have found the problem as there were Skatter textures in the materials with 'grass' in the name but even after deleting them, again it still crashed. What was strange though was SketchUp was suggesting that the materials were in use but I couldn't see any Skatter components in the outliner. It must be something to do with Skatter I'm not aware of, as like Enscape I'm also testing it so I'm not familiar with it yet.

• Kenny Could you please send in feedback via the [Feedback] button?

This would help us a lot to track down the issue.

• Jonathan, I've just sent you a message from your website contact page with a download link to the SketchUp file causing the issue. I can't send feedback from Enscape as the file won't stay open long enough without crashing.

• We've received your mail and we can't find an issue with the project.

I presume that the issue is connected with your workstation, so the feedback with its log-files is required for further analysis.

You should be able to send feedback with Enscape closed.

• Kenny Update here as well:

It appears that you have quite a lot Skatter grass in your scene - to be precise, about 79 000 instances of grass with 35 000 Faces each. That's at least 2 Billion faces just for the grass, it may even be multiple polygons per face.

We'll try to optimize this for Enscape in the future, but you'll have to downscale the grass count a little. You can adjust the density of objects in scatter, also for certain renderings depending on your camera position!