Curved geometry rendering faceted

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hi

Not sure if this is a limitation of revit or enscape, but curved geometry created in revit appears faceted in enscape renders. You can see it on the weight plate and the end of the barbell below. The faceting on the lettering is a separate isse relating to revit model text. Just wondered in there was a solution to this? It renders fine with Vray for Revit so the geometry must be ok.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Hi Merv77; welcome to the Forum! Initially what you could try is increasing the Detail Level in your Revit view to "Fine". Sometimes this can help with this issue. However, in general this is unfortunately, as you mentioned, a limitation, and to some extent expected behavior.

• Thanks for taking the time to respond. I guess for the majority of architectural visualisations it’s not really an issue as you wouldn’t normally zoom in so close; in fact this is the first time I’ve noticed it. Still, it’s a shame that there is no real solution to this.

• Hi,

Is there any chance in the future that enscape will address small curved surfaces rendering faceted rather than smooth when using revit. I am using Revit and enscape for Interiors and it would be nice to show smoother surfaces when performing rendered wallk-throughs

Thanks kindly,

• Official Post

Welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

I reckon this is a rather small object, or is the faceting perhaps also visible in Revit? In any case, we have a feature request on our agenda to smoothen these kind of edges, I'll forward your upvote and feedback!

• Hi Merv - Enscape simply renders what Revit is creating - and Revit doesn't always create smooth curves from geometry. At a distance the geometry appears smooth but closer inspection shows faceting. This can be changed depending on how the geometry was created. As a best practice I would recommend using the simplest geometry to create the desired form. In other words

- if you can use an extrusion, don't use a sweep (even though the resulting geometry might look identical)

- If you can use a sweep, don't use a revolve

- if you can use an extrusion, don't use a blend

- if you can create as a solid, don't use a void

Overall - even though the resulting shapes look identical the underlying process is different. And if you can create it natively and Revit – don't import it from SketchUp or AutoCAD.

• In trying to resolve this issue for users, this is an incorrect response that could potentially waste a lot of people's time if they try these suggestions. This issue is intermittent, and is not controlled by the user modeling things in a specific way. Below is an image of 2 Revit native floors drawn with a simple arc (not spline or other complicated NURBS curve - just an arc). The arc shows faceted. The blue floor is faceted but the wood floor is not. Both are modeled using the same geometry, and literally the SAME arc. This is not a user solvable issue.

• In trying to resolve this issue for users, this is an incorrect response that could potentially waste a lot of people's time if they try these suggestions. This issue is intermittent, and is not controlled by the user modeling things in a specific way. Below is an image of 2 Revit native floors drawn with a simple arc (not spline or other complicated NURBS curve - just an arc). The arc shows faceted. The blue floor is faceted but the wood floor is not. Both are modeled using the same geometry, and literally the SAME arc. This is not a user solvable issue.

I think Enscape is expressing a Revit issue. Extrusions, Blends, Revolves Sweeps, Swept Blends (and Model Text) are different primitives that can display more/less faceting when rendering. For example, the same arc radius expressed as a full circle may facet while a quarter of the same radius may appear smooth. Sweeps allow for Trajectory Segmentation (Swept Blends do not). The resulting products may look the same but the process is different.

Revit also dynamically smooths / facets based on proximity. Small circles (1" dia) may display as 12 small straight line segments up close. Large circles (5' dia) may display as 72 straight segments up close. You can test this by creating a full circle (say 5' dia) and upon close inspection will count 72 straight segments per quarter (every 5 degrees). But if you create an arc segment of 5 degrees you'll notice there will be two or more straight light segments in that create the 5 deg arc.

• Don't model the text - apply an image. This will make resulting file significantly lighter.