Orthographic vs Perspective View - Preview version 2.7.0 (1+15081)

• Hi,

Just been experimenting with the new preview and in particular the orthographic views.

Please see attached where we have a similar view in orthographic and two-point perspective (with the camera angle very narrow to simulate a similar view) - it looks like the environment is switched off in the orthographic mode (?), this means we do not get the sky reflections in the glass. Is it possible to maintain the environment settings so the orthographic has the same quality as the perspective?

• Hi hollers , thank you for your feedback!

Environment in Orthographic View is on the long term schedule for our developers, but it's way harder to develop so will take some time.

I can't help you with the reflections at this point, but you can go to the visual settings -> "Capture" tab, enable "Export Object-ID, Material-ID and Depth Channel", and set the Depth Range all the way to the right.

This way you will receive an Alpha Channel, a black and white mask you can use in an image editor to replace the white background with an image of your choice.

Anyway, I have filed your feedback so the developers are aware of it. Thank you!

• Hi Kaj

understand that this may take longer

And congratulation for taking this on that no other realtime engine did

I also found that Artificial Lighting currently also does not work

Is this on the same long term List?

• ... looks like the environment is switched off in the orthographic mode (?), this means we do not get the sky reflections in the glass. Is it possible to maintain the environment settings so the orthographic has the same quality as the perspective?

Maybe anything works right. Orthographic means that you are looking from infinite distance with a nearly 0° view angle. This could cause that you see a very small portion of the BG only and it looks like a constant color. The same happens for the reflections - every coparallel surface shows the same little part of the environment. If you look at your ortho shot than you see that some windows have a white reflection on it and windows in an other direction shows a dark part of the environment and it looks like no reflection. I afraid what you ask for isn't possible. Or I'm wrong? I'm curious. ;)

• Micha i think so too, regarding environment

but we could have an option for a background Image, Gradient, Flat Sky

Revit manages to show Lights in Ortho Mode ( OK not anywhere as good and fast as Enscape)

• Maybe anything works right. Orthographic means that you are looking from infinite distance with a nearly 0° view angle. This could cause that you see a very small portion of the BG only and it looks like a constant color. The same happens for the reflections - every coparallel surface shows the same little part of the environment. If you look at your ortho shot than you see that some windows have a white reflection on it and windows in an other direction shows a dark part of the environment and it looks like no reflection. I afraid what you ask for isn't possible. Or I'm wrong? I'm curious. ;)

This is correct - using a skybox as a background would show a solid color, as the view angle for all pixels is parallel. Same goes for reflections: Since view angle is parallel all reflection rays starting at the same surface normal will also result in parallel reflection vectors.

I also found that Artificial Lighting currently also does not work

Artificial lighting should work - can you post a screenshot or provide us with the project where it doesn't?

• dvsone1440 , in Ortho you can still move around and rotate the camera, using W, A, S, D or the Middle Mouse Button to pan and zoom, Right Mouse Button to rotate around an object (mind clicking the object you want to orbit around)... So you can select your perspective freely!

You can also use the Numpad 2 to see your project from front (elevation), 5 to view it from top (plan view), and so on.

Hope this clears things up. Let me know if you've got further questions!

• Thanks for the responses...

Couple of follow-up questions/requests:

1/. The number pad views work great - it would be helpful if we could we also use keys 7,9,1,3 as isometric style views - number 1: looking down from the top left, number 3: looking down from top right, etc... Alternatively, something similar to the view cube in Revit would be even better!.

2/. Is there any way to save the orthographic view back to Revit? Its disabled in orthographic mode. If I switch to perspective and save the view, I find that when I return to Orthographic, I'm always zoomed-in on the model. So far I can't find any trick to recreate exactly the same zoom/crop - its therefore near impossible to recreate the same scale render export of the whole building. Its quite important for us to be able to reproduce like-for-like versions of the images we export.

3/. Kaj, the raster export functions are great for photoshop - would it also be possible to have a "transparency" export? This would show 100% opaque elements as white, empty space as black and transparent objects as shades of grey in between? A window with one sheet of glass would be say 30% grey, whereas looking through one window and then through another window beyond would give 60% grey? This would give me something really useful to use as an alpha channel.

Great job so far though - its great to see requests actually being implemented.