Recommend a video card $500 budget

• We are a Community College with an Architecture program.

I am the IT guy.

The lab has Dell Precision 3620 towers with 16GB of RAM.

CPU is 6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6 700 (Quad Core 3.40GHz, 4.0Ghz Turbo, 8MB, w/ HD Graphics 53 0)

Current video card is a Quadro K620.

We have about $500/card to spend.

I was thinking about an RTX2070 but from what I found the power requirements are at least a 550W power supply.

These towers have a 290W power supply.

They teach Revit and Sketch-Up with Enscape.

Can someone recommend a video card in that price point?

thanx

rb

• Hi rbrodhead and welcome to the forums!

If you can't/don't want to change the power supply unit this is going to be difficult. Less power hungry alternatives would be the GTX1660 or GTX1650, but they're on the one hand a lot cheaper than your budget and on the other hand 290W could still be a little tight in that case. They'd however be both a massive improvement compared to the Quadro K620. So maybe spend some of your budget on the power supply ;)

• A search for your tower shows that it is a "mini tower", although I could not find data on the motherboard format(e.g. ATX, microATX, ITX). In addition to the power supply upgrade, I would recommend opening your tower up to see how much room is available for a graphics card. Will you need a short form-factor card? A low-profile card? Is there room for a dual slot card? Knowing these limitations will help you limit your choices and tailor your purchase to your current hardware. Good luck!
    -wehby

• (I teach in a college interior design program, and wish I had the budget for this kind of hardware.) For my work, I've been very happy with the EVGA GTX 1060 6GB card that now costs about $250 -- it seemed like a good entry into GPU rendering and has proved to be so. I use it on a Boxx workstation with Revit, Enscape, and recently Twinmotion. It's a double-slot card, so be sure you have that kind of room, as well as an adequate power supply. I agree with the recommendation about splitting the cost between a larger power supply and the card itself. And... it supports multiple monitors, so put them in next years budget!

• (I teach in a college interior design program, and wish I had the budget for this kind of hardware.) For my work, I've been very happy with the EVGA GTX 1060 6GB card that now costs about $250 -- it seemed like a good entry into GPU rendering and has proved to be so. I use it on a Boxx workstation with Revit, Enscape, and recently Twinmotion. It's a double-slot card, so be sure you have that kind of room, as well as an adequate power supply. I agree with the recommendation about splitting the cost between a larger power supply and the card itself. And... it supports multiple monitors, so put them in next years budget!

Completely agree, just beware that the GTX1060 is also dated in the meantime and that you can get yourself a GTX1660 (super) for the same budget today! :)

• With that PSU my only bet would be GTX 1650 (TDP 75W), the K620 has a TDP of only 45W so It might still be too much...

It's still roughly 3-times as fast as the Quatro so I'd say it's a worthwhile investment.

Maybe try it out on one machine and put it trough some very heavy benchmarks to make sure it works.

The only other option would be to also replace the PSU's