Regarding the new saved views mode 2.7

• I just read the FAQ article regarding the 2.7 preview 1. Very interesting.

Enscape 2.7 Preview FAQ

It says we can ask questions there about the new features, but the post is read only, so I'm posting them here:

• With the new WYSIWYG 'saved Enscape scenes' mode, will we be able to easily update an existing saved scene? For example, move the camera a little, tweak the exposure a bit and then push those updates to the saved scene?
    • Will we be able to save the view (camera position) and view settings (exposure etc) with one button, or will we have to save both and then link the view to the setting? I'd prefer the first option :) (one button to save EVERYTHING that is required to reproduce the same shot)
  • It says we can ask questions there about the new features, but the post is read only, so I'm posting them here:

The whole area is set to read only by default we are changing it right now so users can reply to it.

• With the new WYSIWYG 'saved Enscape scenes' mode, will we be able to easily update an existing saved scene? For example, move the camera a little, tweak the exposure a bit and then push those updates to the saved scene?

No the WYSISWYG selection will be what you've been using up until now, i.e. "create a screenshot from whatever I currently see in the Enscape window".

• Will we be able to save the view (camera position) and view settings (exposure etc) with one button, or will we have to save both and then link the view to the setting? I'd prefer the first option :) (one button to save EVERYTHING that is required to reproduce the same shot)

No, the idea is: Create a view (via the CAD or Enscape) and link a visual settings preset to it. That way you can adjust the settings for multiple views and create batch renderings with different settings per view.

• No, the idea is: Create a view (via the CAD or Enscape) and link a visual settings preset to it. That way you can adjust the settings for multiple views and create batch renderings with different settings per view.

Oh man that's a huge bummer. That sounds like a very tedious workflow to be honest.

There will be almost no cases were we would use the exact same settings for multiple views. There is always going to be something that's different. Different field of view, slightly different exposure, slightly different setting for lens flare, ... There is always something that we will want to tweak.

So it sounds that for each view, we will have to save out the settings, than also create the view, then have to link them together, and then when we update a shot we will have to make sure that we override the correct setting. And then if we want to move the camera we need to update the view, not the saved view settings, but if we change the FOV we need to change the settings not the view... try explaining this to your average architect (non-professional visualizer).

Very tedious indeed.

We were really hoping that we could set up a view, hit a button and then everything that Enscape needs to reproduce that exact same shot is saved. Then later we can come back to that shot, all the relevant settings are loaded, we can tweak if further (including moving the camera) and save the changes.

A 'dumb' but simple system is what we were hoping for. Kind of like how we set keyframes in the video editor.

• Thanks for the Input, Pieter!

We will have another look at it and collect some more feedback to evaluate some more adjustments of the feature.

But as the feature development for 2.7 is close to be done, this will be the way it will work in the next version.

We hope that even if you are not satisfied with the way we implemented it, you still get value from the feature.

• Thanks for your reply JoH and Christian Radowski

I know you guys are working hard and trying to balance the different requests. So I hope you're not going to take this personally, but I'm very disappointed with this feature. From your comments, it sounds like this is the first time you've heard this feedback, but it's been posted over and over again for the last two years (I've included some snippets below). Everytime we get a 'we have forwarded your feedback', but apparently, it was not forwarded to the right place?

We've been waiting years for this feature and we were very excited when it appeared on the 2.7 roadmap, but it turns out that this is going to be absolutely useless for us.

In general, it's disappointing that you wait to involve the community until a feature is (almost) completely finished. For these big features, why not post a mockup (even if it's just a description). Now it happens often that we hear 'yeah that's good feedback but it's almost done now, maybe some day we will change it'.

September 2019 - In a message to Thomas

Regarding the reproducible renders, could you make this a 'one button save' that remembers ALL settings (camera position, lighting, image settings, etc).We'd like it to be as simple as possible (so no need to match the right Revit view with the right saved render settings etc).

May 2019 - Different Settings for several views

Our users are hoping that these 'saved settings per view' are going to include sun angle, [sun] rotation and brightness. For us, the goal to save settings per view is to be able to reproduce the same shot again in a reliable manner. So we can generate the same shots over and over again while the design changes.

It's only going to be partially useful without the sun angle, [sun] rotation and brightness.

April 2019 - Saving settings: remember sun overrides

In the roadmap it says you are working on a remastering of the settings.

It would be great if you would also save sun overrides (CTRL + U/I and SHIFT + U/I). We sometimes override the sun position to get the perfect light angle, but it's really hard to redo these shots later as there's no way to save these overrides.

Feb 2019 Enscape settings saved with model

I would propose to save the settings per view/scene. Different views will have different times of day, exposure settings etc.

Jan 2018 - Create screenshots of all favorite views

Also, will there be a way to set/save different render settings per each view? Time of day, exposure, ... typically all of these settings change for each view.

• Also, what we were hoping for already has a perfect precedent in Enscape: the video editor offers the option to update camera positions easily from within the Enscape window + the option to override settings for each view, and all this information is saved in the camera path.

When you load the camera path , all overrides and positions are properly loaded.

We were hoping the 'reproduceable renderings' was going to take the same approach:

- one button to save all relevant settings to reproduce a view

- one button to update all relevant settings to reproduce a view

- when activating a view, Enscape loads all relevant settings (which, btw, would also be awesome for a live walkthrough with the client).

(btw, another great plus from the video editor: most edits can be done within the Enscape window!)

Again, I know everyone working on this has the best intentions, but this is something we struggle with on a daily basis and we really thought we were finally going to have a solution in a couple of weeks. So hopefully you understand our disappointment.