Light halo through objects with cutout material

Please note: Should you experience issues with Enscape or your subscription, and in case of any urgent inquiries/questions (e.g. regarding our upcoming licensing changes) please reach out to our dedicated support team via the Help Center or Support button as detailed here.
  • Hello,

I noticed this somewhat minor bug but wanted to mention it as I can't quite seem to resolve it. The issue seems to be that a rectangle light (I didn't test other light types) is acting like it is refracting through a material that it shouldn't.

The material is a copper banker wire that is setup as shown in the attached screenshot. I think that this is the right way to setup this type of material since when I tick on the transparency box what should be opaque wires start behaving as transparent.

The lights that I placed behind the banker wire in the screenshot have a weird glow around them as you can see in the enscape screenshot which I initially thought could be two things that I found to not be true:

First, I thought if there was a bump map applied it could be catching the light on the tops of the wires and reflecting the rectangle light at a very shallow angle, however, as you can see in the material editor screen shot there is no bump map applied at all.

Second, I thought that if the lights were in the same plane as the ceiling the glow might actually be coming from the ceiling since in enscape (and other rendering software I've used) placing lights in exactly the same plane as the ceiling can cause a halo as the renderer tries to resolve the draw-order / z-fighting. This also cant be the case because I placed the lights about an inch below the actual ceiling plane to avoid this.

The desired effect would be to not have the glow in the banker wire that outlines where the actual enscape light object is placed in sketchup. I am using enscape version 2.6.1+13260 within Sketchup. To reproduce this I think setting up a basic cutout material with a light behind it would yield the same result. I can find out about sharing part of this model if it can't be reproduced by anyone else, but I'd need to run it by the project manager and team first.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Max

• Official Post

Good to hear you've been able to resolve this issue that quickly :)