Color Reflection

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • I've noticed recently that the floor color seems to be having an outsize influence on the ceiling/wall color when there are lights in the space. I realize that this is how light behaves to a certain degree, but it seems like the effect is a bit exaggerated. It doesn't seem natural. To cast that amount of color on the ceiling, the surface would either need to be literally glowing or have an extremely bright light source illuminating it such as sunlight, neither of which is the case in these examples.

• That would definitely be helpful. I would also suggest reducing the default color bleeding because I always felt the current behavior is a bit over the top.

• Reducing the default value seems like a good idea. As you can see in the image below, this behavior wasn't present a few versions ago (or was far less pronounced). Comparing the two images, I'm also noticing that the lighting in general seems less realistic now, hard to pinpoint why though. Overall brightness levels have been turned up, and there's less contrast/ pronounced shadows.

• Enscape simulates the behavior of real light pretty physically accurate, the reason for this phenomena to be so visible is that we do not simulate unlimited light bounces as done in reality. There are two solutions to improve / work around:

1 - Change quality to Ultra. This adds one light bounce and should deminish the strong visibility of the first bounce

2 - use a stronger ambient brightness. This brightness is added after the first bounce and should reduce the visible color contrast.

DanS : Reflectivity is the wrong paramter. You should darken the albede ( diffuse ) to make the surface more absorbing.

Hope that helps.

• On the other side the human eye and our mind is filtering what we see. The recognition of color bleeding is adapted .... .

And finally as 3D artist we have the situation that clients like to show a design without the distraction of (natural) strong color bleeding. So, Thomas, maybe you could add some control for the artists freedom to allow us to make an image looking beautiful and not so physical correct.

Also we are living in a world of beautiful images everywhere. Images created by a lot of image processing and artistic adjustment. Final clients like to get images like this and it doesn't matter what is realistic. ;)

• Right but with many parameters its also easy to ruin your image without knowing what caused it. Enscape should be a tool with a minimum amount of tuning options to get a good image quality very fast.

Dont get me wrong, i see that the images dont look as expected, we will work on that - i just dont think that a bunch of sliders is the solution to all problems.

• I always use ultra so these images are showing the highest setting. Higher ambient brightness might be the difference I'm noticing with the most recent versions of Enscape (last couple months), which I'm guessing reduces noise and makes the interiors less dark, but at the expense of some contrast. I haven't experimented with that setting yet, I'll have to try it.

And speaking of settings, giving us control of the color bleeding would be nice as others have mentioned. But for the sake of simplicity, it might be better to just turn down the default value, since at least on interiors, it appears to be having too much influence.

• I'm back with more color bleeding complaints... Something is clearly way off here, it shouldn't look anything like this. I've included an image of the track material as well. The track barely looks blue at all in the image and yet somehow the ceiling appears as if it's been sprayed with color. Increasing the ambient brightness minimizes it of course, but it's still there. The problem lies with the lights - once you delete them, all the blue on the ceiling disappears. It's very odd though, because the lights aren't that bright and are hardly illuminating the track, and yet somehow they're enough to bounce back on the ceiling like that?

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I'd appreciate it if you guys didn't lock threads in the feedback and ideas area. I was about to reply to Clemens response to my thread about global illumination and then saw that it was locked. The video I posted was mostly for the sake of discussion, not because I seriously thought you were going to implement anything from it (though it seemed promising at the time). I appreciated his response, and was looking forward to replying.

• We just fixed a bug regarding this issue. It should now be more subtle and realistic. The fix will be included in v2.1.

• amarr are these red emissive materials?

If yes, there has to be some color transported with the light.

If not, could you please share your project with us? You can send me a pm or an e-mail to support@enscape3d.com.

• Hi Tony, great to see you here and thanks for creating and sharing your workflow!

The two important settings are:

• Rendering Quality on "Ultra" as Enscape performes more ray bounces in this quality level
    • Activate the white ground/Background to bring more white rays into your model to overlay the red ones.
  • Thank you SO much for posting this workflow - I was just having this problem in an enclosed room with matte materials, yet there was color glow on nearly every surface... even with a white background and using the "ultra" rendering setting. The workflow helped so much to know the right adjustments to make.

• I run in a situation with to much color bleeding too and found that it helps to try to be physical correct. It means:

* Brightest real white (something like snow) reflect max. ~80% of the light only. It helps to keep colors and textures at a realistic level (so f.ex. red should not be (255,0,0), better is (210,0,0). It's a "problem" of the most render engines.)

* Try to keep the ambient brightness slider at low level and try to get light to the scene by other ways.