SketchUp Rendering Edges, beyond Rendering Outlines

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hi folks at Enscape,

I am writing this post to see if there is any updates on the process of incorporating this feature into Enscape SketchUp plugin. I am aware of some older posts on similar topic, however the latest reply was from more 365 days ago and I got recommendation from the forum to start this new topic.

Both our senior design team members and our long term clients are so used to this process and visual style of using "edges" in SketchUp to represent brick joints rendering with native SketchUp function. We appreciated the extended possibility Enscape brought to us nowadays. However, the best way to introduce Enscape to the team, instead of replacing our older process directly with Enscape rendering, as we figured out, is to begin with using Enscape rendering as "icing on the cake" -- a layer of rendered material overlaid with our current visual style. Unfortunately, there is no way to align Enscape view with SketchUp view (which carries the edges) easily, and there is no way as we know to rendering edges with Enscape as well.

Below is a reference of our SkechUp model where brick joint is represented by edges in SketchUp.

Thanks a lot,

Shuojin "Shawn" Yang

• Unfortunately, there is no way to align Enscape view with SketchUp view (which carries the edges) easily, and there is no way as we know to rendering edges with Enscape as well.

There is, it just involves some postprocessing. Activating live sync should usually line up the views of Sketchup and Enscape. Use an "edges only" Sketchup style then export both the Sketchup and the Enscape view. Only thing you'll then have to do is to throw the exported Sketchup and Enscape view into Photoshop, scale them until they match, blend to liking and crop.

+ =

• Only thing you'll then have to do is to throw the exported Sketchup and Enscape view into Photoshop, scale them until they match,

Hi MatthiasB and Demian,

I appreciated MatthiasB's quick response! I tested the approach, here is how it turns out.

Both images below are using pixel to pixel overlay in Photoshop of SketchUp (SU in later description) exported hidden line and Enscape rendering. The left image is using a fixed aspect ratio export on both SU and Enscape, while the right one is using screen/viewport aspect ratio on both.

It seems like Enscape and SU are implementing different cropping mechanism when the requested export aspect ratio is different from what is on the screen/viewport, which leaves a little bit to be desired. Is this true or am I doing something wrong? Exporting with screen/viewport aspect ratio on both got the job done much more decently, however fixed aspect ratio is more practical since screen/viewport aspect ratio can only be manipulated by drugging the window of SU and the result is very hard to maintain through multiple iterations.

Thanks a lot,

Shawn

• Enscape uses horizontal FoV. Sketchup uses vertical FoV. (why Skp chose this is a mystery.) Make your image aspect ratios square and you will have a much easier time getting them to line up in PS. Crop the extra sky/ground you don't want.

Thanks, but I'm confused as to why you're talking about FOV. This thread is about rendering edges.

• The original and follow-up posts seemed to be complaining about the Enscape and Skp images not aligning. If you want edges rendered, do a Sketchup render and overlay it on the Enscape render in PS. Keeping a square aspect ratio will help with that. Granted, this is a workaround to the issue of Enscape not rendering the edges you want, and is not a one-click solution.